Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that they were basically the same thing until a recent discussion with a colleague. Can some of you seasoned vets chime in on the issue? Are they the same and if not what are the differences?

·
Retired Moderator
24,786 Posts
Pretty much the same thing. I believe Judges Paneling refers to all wood construction, typically depicting frame & panel usually stained. While Wainscot can include other materials. Plaster/sheet rock art , appliques directly to a wall under a chair rail, wall paper, paint or any combination of the above etc.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Well, I can give you the official barnyard versions, which is all I know.

The term 'wainscoting' itself usually refers to a sectional wall treatment, - - it can consist of frame and panel, beadboard, paint, wallpaper, chair rail, you name it. It is often the bottom 1/3 or 1/2 of the wall, - - but can also include both upper and lower sections.

Judge's panels, which isn't a term I personally use, - - I believe would usually, if not always, refer to 'raised panel' wainscoting.

If this answer turns out to be wrong, - - I'l both delete it and deny it . . . :laughing:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
I've always felt Wainscoting was a decorative effort to accent a room, whereas Judges Paneling is more of a statement of the sober weight of the total decor, in general.

Then Boiserie takes it to a whole 'nother level of just plain "gaudy"!

·
Retired Moderator
24,786 Posts
Judges panel meets up to the ceiling,,, may have madalions... raised panel, frieze entablitures,,etc,etc,,, layman's terms,,, woodwork that fills the wall to the ceiling.;) thats the difference,,,,

I'll argue that one.:laughing:

B,
I've always felt Wainscoting was a decorative effort to accent a room, whereas Judges Paneling is more of a statement of the sober weight of the total decor, in general.

Hey Willie, as eloquent as ever.
:notworthy

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
so heres another.... buy prefab or build it onsite?
50/50, depending on the existing walls. In my opinion you don't just tack any of it on... you build segments to compliment (and complement) the architecture.

(In other words, what Griz said.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was under the impression that they were basically the same thing until a recent discussion with a colleague. Can some of you seasoned vets chime in on the issue? Are they the same and if not what are the differences?
Judges paneling takes up the whole length of the wall. Where wainscoting only takes up portion, usually half way up or two thirds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts