Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a comment about my wagner gear and say how happy i am with it.

Currently i use the wagner project pro 119, which is the entry level unit for contractors, and ive not had a problem with it. Its done 100's of jobs now and hasnt missed a beat. I've done several roofs, including my own and its been really good.

It folds down to a very small size and can fit in the boot of a car. I've got the graco pro shot cordless and its been my only piece of graco gear and its been back for repair 3 times since new, hardly had any use. I see a lot of guys having trouble with these guns.

Ive actually got two wagner airless units, both of them have never let me down, and ive rebuilt one with a kit just because i thought it was the right thing to do after the amount of work it did. Neither unit has given me any trouble, both are left on the back of the ute in the rain, sun, hail whatever with everything exposed to the elements.

If i was doing roofs all the time, more so tile roofs where i would use a thicker membrane type material, i would buy a bigger unit but for a few roofs a year, this is more than adequate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Small fan.
The reason for the small fan buddy is the corrogations in that particular door suit it perfectly. Im shooting the indent in the door whiich is only 1 inch wide with a 211 which is a 4 inch fan at 10 - 12 inches from the surface.

If you do a garage door such as this with a 411 or a 511 so that would be an 8 to 10 inch fan, you will get misses on the underside of every 2nd or 3rd corrogation because the paint cant actually hit it.

On a larger flatter door i would use a bigger tip.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I am not a pro painter just a GC who ends up doing painting when it goes with the job.I have never seen a Wagner that I would use for commercial work.
Especially not one of their entry level kits.JMHO
It may get the job done?How much did you have to thin the product?How much will it cost to have to go redo the job in a few months?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a pro painter just a GC who ends up doing painting when it goes with the job.I have never seen a Wagner that I would use for commercial work.
Especially not one of their entry level kits.JMHO
It may get the job done?How much did you have to thin the product?How much will it cost to have to go redo the job in a few months?
I'm a professional contractor mate, no thinning been using the same unit for years. Job is the same as with a $4000 machine.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'm happy to see you have had a good experience with their products .We may not have the same available here or at least my friends that have tried their products have not had the same luck as you have and have steared me away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm happy to see you have had a good experience with their products .We may not have the same available here or at least my friends that have tried their products have not had the same luck as you have and have steared me away.

You'll find its very likely user error, plenty of pro painters use wagner gear (titan) for the states.

But make no mistake small or large airless besides the cordless ones every machine sprays identical.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uhhh, no. The principal may be the same in that the paint is pressurized.
An airless that puts out 3/4 gpm will spray differently than an airless that puts out 1/3 gpm.
That's Bs mate I was using a Graco 795 the other day identical. Only difference is one unit makes a lot less noise and can handle more material per year. Spray quality is exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
That's Bs mate I was using a Graco 795 the other day identical. Only difference is one unit makes a lot less noise and can handle more material per year. Spray quality is exactly the same.
I suppose, altho... constant pressure of paint up to the spray tip is what makes for a quality spray. Units that are more powerful tend to better maintain paint pressure at the tip during pump cycles, don't you agree? And if you do...lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suppose, altho... constant pressure of paint up to the spray tip is what makes for a quality spray. Units that are more powerful tend to better maintain paint pressure at the tip during pump cycles, don't you agree? And if you do...lol.

If your spraying at full pressure all the time, using a large tip etc then 'maybe' and only maybe. But for most jobs i dont know anybody who would run an airless at full pressure, and ive only ever used a 515 once or twice in my life, most of my tips are 4xx 3xx or 2xx i've even used a 108 quite a few times.

If your using a 1225 all day doing the sides of warehouses etc. then you'll want the machine for that, but your only talking huge industrial / commercial jobs which most painters/contractors wont see in their lifetime anyways.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
If your spraying at full pressure all the time, using a large tip etc then 'maybe' and only maybe. But for most jobs i dont know anybody who would run an airless at full pressure, and ive only ever used a 515 once or twice in my life, most of my tips are 4xx 3xx or 2xx i've even used a 108 quite a few times.

If your using a 1225 all day doing the sides of warehouses etc. then you'll want the machine for that, but your only talking huge industrial / commercial jobs which most painters/contractors wont see in their lifetime anyways.
I've done quite a few shopping centers, commercial buildings, airplane hangars with $4000 spray rigs. No way a small sprayer would keep up, all I did was spray had guys setting up scaffolds, ladders, masking, cleaning spray shields, etc. The most common tip I use is 5xx.

On those types of jobs GPM and pressure make a big difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no worries with my smaller unit, i sit on about 50 - 70% power most of the time.

Last week i was playing around on the graco 795 and trying to run on low pressure and it behaved exactly the same way my unit would. Sounds different but there is absolutely no different in spray pattern / pressure holding etc.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
You'll find its very likely user error, plenty of pro painters use wagner gear (titan) for the states.

But make no mistake small or large airless besides the cordless ones every machine sprays identical.
Here Wagner and Titan are two very different beasts. The Wagner crap is big box/hardware store stuff. The titan gear is decent enough, though I've only used one. I used a Titan 440 for a bit and hated it. It sounded like a squirrel was spinning it around. The 4 finger gun could have been part of the problem. Who would ever use a 4 finger gun? yuck.

I use an old SW 240 that has served me very well and been beaten and abused over the years. It's never let me down. Or at least never so bad that a smack with a hammer wouldn't fix.:whistling

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Actually I consider myself a typical painter. Anyone serious about being a "painter" would not want to buy an airless for workshop use or spraying trim or garage doors...and then think..."I can use it to spray those 10-15-20+ gallon jobs I'm now starting to score". You'd be on the job sooo much longer. The Magnum airless sprayer will now seem lightweight..a toy.

I don't see airless sprayers like Magnums being used in my world of painting..at all, lol. The Graco Magnum sprayers are cool, but not serious cool.
:no:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts