Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on how to pay the following:

A) Crew leader: responsible for 4 to 6 person crew and over all job for residential tear-off's (20 to 70 Square jobs)

B) Operations Manager: Overseas all Crew Leaders, Projects, Training, Ordering Materials, Schedules and Assigns Crews to various job sites

Pete

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
CALLSPC said:
Looking for advice on how to pay the following:

A) Crew leader: responsible for 4 to 6 person crew and over all job for residential tear-off's (20 to 70 Square jobs)
Salary plus hourly plus bonus for early completion of jobs AKA "beat the budget" bonus. Salary so you your key employee keeps some income in the slow months, hourly to make up the difference and bonus for that little Umph to make 'em perform.

CALLSPC said:
B) Operations Manager: Overseas all Crew Leaders, Projects, Training, Ordering Materials, Schedules and Assigns Crews to various job sites
Salary plus annual or bi-annual profit sharing.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Grumpy said:
Salary plus annual or bi-annual profit sharing.
I've never been quite able to get my head around the idea of using profit "sharing" as an incentive for production staff. I think for most staff level employees, profit sharing breeds mistrust because they have little or no influence in the estimating/bidding/accounting process. I think revenue based incentives come a lot closer to capturing the spirit of "get 'er done". After all, isn't maximizing billings what we really want (provided quality of workmanship is there of course).
I used to work for a guy that divided a given percentage of monthly billings (sales) amongst those who were 'vested' in the bonus program. Back then, I just "didn't get it". I've since come to see what he was trying to accomplish. When I implement a bonus program it'll most likely be based on monthly revenue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts