Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have you ever pulled a trailer full of concrete? I have not. After witnessing this spectacle today, I do not care to try.

It took a LONG time for this guy to finally decide that maybe slowing down would stop all the zany swervin' and swayin'. We were watching him for about a mile before I remembered that I had a camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2mAasNSOoQ

·
Banned
846 Posts
Done something similar. Pulled a Trailmax dump trailer (3,500lbs) loaded with 5 yards of 3/4 gravel (15,000lbs) behind my 82 F-150. Damn that sumbitch was hard to stop, steer, and get going. Now I just pay the delivery fee if I need more than a yard.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
Done something similar. Pulled a Trailmax dump trailer (3,500lbs) loaded with 5 yards of 3/4 gravel (15,000lbs) behind my 82 F-150. Damn that sumbitch was hard to stop, steer, and get going. Now I just pay the delivery fee if I need more than a yard.

DUDE! That truck dosen't even come close to being able to haul that load :eek:

·
Banned
846 Posts
It'll haul it but not past 2nd gear. Not enough power to pull that load in 3rd or 4th. It was 10mph all the way. To get her going at a light I had to use first and slip the clutch like mad.

Tough old truck. Moved the gravel from Moscow down to Genesee. It was a trip rolling down HWY 95 that slow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I followed a truck pulling a small riding lawnmower down a boulevard at about 40mph. The guy in the truck never looked back to see his friend white knuckled friend swerving back and forth just like that. I laughed soo hard I almost jumped the curb. :laughing:
Ahaahaaaa! :clap:

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
Who knows how overloaded the rear axle of the truck was or the trailer, but more than likely he didn't have enough tongue weight on the trailer. Rule of thumb is 10-15% total trailer weight should be the tongue weight for bumper pull. That guy is lucky he didn't hurt himself or anyone else.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Who knows how overloaded the rear axle of the truck was or the trailer, but more than likely he didn't have enough tongue weight on the trailer. Rule of thumb is 10-15% total trailer weight should be the tongue weight for bumper pull. That guy is lucky he didn't hurt himself or anyone else.

I just started using a tandem axle trailer. I know how to figure total GVW, but how do I figure toungue weight? Park the toungue only on the scales?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice video. Only my opinion, I don't think you should be posting the guys phone number like that.
Thanks, Framerman. :thumbsup:
I agree it was not necessary to focus on the number. The truth is, the number was already visible. After the video was posted, I had second thoughts. However, removing it would have been more trouble than it is worth.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is someone who doesn't care about anyone's safety...
It was laughable initially, but I put it in perspective. Such carelessness could kill someone. Hopefully the driver, too, understands how foolish he was and does not have a repeat performance.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I just started using a tandem axle trailer. I know how to figure total GVW, but how do I figure toungue weight? Park the toungue only on the scales?
You can get one of these.
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm
Or you can use common sense. with something like a dump trailer, just load it evenly. Trailers are setup for the most part to be loaded evenly, and if they are the tongue weight should be close. With equipment trailers and flatbeds you do have to be more careful. when in doubt load the tongue heavy. If you load it light, it can sway just like that vid.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Rear tires on the P/U with inadequate pressure (in addition to inadequate tongue weight) will cause that problem. Soft tires have to much flex. When towing a heavy load, the rear tires should be aired up to max.

Of course that assumes he had tires adequate to handle the load, which I doubt. A half ton truck tire will not handle the same pressure as a one ton truck tire.

Contractors need heavy duty trucks. 1/2 tons are good for hauling the groceries home and the kids to soccer but if you want to work the truck you need a one ton.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.