Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a fun month to say the least, in hopes that not only others (Contractors and new contractors just starting up) are seeing what wacko customers are putting us through, but Id like to declare this thread the full blown beeeooottch thread to declare WE"RE not taking it anymore!!! LOL Feel free to reply with your daily gripes, I really think we need a gripe thread Nathan..lol

Project 1: Install new 5/8' Drywall to all walls and ceilings (5 bedrooms- 2 baths -1 master bath) Green Board Doubled up in baths plus Wonder board 4' up in baths and full shower areas. 75 blow out patches in various other areas of home , pics will follow.
Long Story short, customer had a mold fear in the home and had all plaster removed. (Homeowner removed) Lath removed except for the lath under the screen at the ceiling line: Needless to say, they failed to remove before I had 4 installers come to start installation.Also, every piece of trim that was existing was tossed in the center of the room nails sticking out and just plain hazerdous) Homeowner called, made aware of the situation, they give the go ahead to have our guys remove, but must submit a written request by end of day: Chased the homeowner down for the rest of the day to get the change order and addendum signed: 4 man days behind technically: Homeowner called screaming he thought we'd be further along. (Needless to say I would have liked to go through the phone at that point. ) I explained we had no right or reason to move forward on a verbal ok from him but at that point in good faith we did, so there shouldnt be an issue. The following day, he stops my men mid way thru a bedroom, (Dont do that ceiling today ,I havent figured out my lighting schedule yet), go over here, go over there....Yikes!!!!! This fellow doesnt understand he's hired a company to do his work, and he's trying to run my men. The phone calls ensue, My home my job!, My workers, my business, my schedule. yadda yadda. I ask he and his wife to back off to let the men and I do the job we were hired to do. Reminding the customer that any customer interference with the project will stop the project and will be sent to an arbitrator as agreed upon in writing in the beginning. He agreed to back off. Drywall install went smoothly, finishing went smoothly until SHE came. The wife and the decorator. 35 color chips and boxes of quarts for samples. Applying samples to walls with thick bristle brushes to unfinished unsanded seams, corners etc.....Aaaaarrrggghhhh. Asked the wife kindly to stop and wait for the drywall to be sanded. She calls her husband outraged, says we thru her out of her own home...AArrrgggghhh. You have got to be kidding me. Talk about picking a fight, these people are now pros. After asking the husband to please look at it from the only logical point of view and reasoning behind this he agreed, his wife was premature. Wife is still ticked off. Drywall finished, ready for paint, ready for samples, ask the homeowner to get the carpenter in asap. Carpenter shows up next day, installing crown ,chairail, and stops in 2 bedroom, goes to family room to install some Bruce flooring. 4 days later, this guy is still playing with the hardwood, and not finishing the trim, I pull all men and tools from job. Job is not moving forward again because homeowner is dictating now to the carpenter what to do and not. I get a call this morning, asking why labor and tools have been pulled, explanation is easy. Customer explains his reasoning is only because he has 5 moving vans scheduled for tomorrow morning to fill the home with furniture...And the painting part of the contract wasnt as important as haveing walls up and a bruce floor to walk on.
So the customer asks why now his original contract is blown to hell and why its going to cost more to finish this beast.
Project 2 to follow (When I calm down!!!) hehe.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I've had a few like that.
I had one that called his attorney to find out how much he could stiff me for, his son ratted on him. A few months ago I ran into a friend of a friend from down south who was placing riprap in front of the same guys waterfront home. The guy gave him the same runaround and he placed riprap across the guys driveway, he got paid. Working with large rocks has some redeeming aspects. LOL

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Sounds like no fun. - I would recommend next time, when you walk on the job and find a situation like that, never to show all your cards so quickly. Even if you intend to go on with the job with a verbal instead of the signed change order, you gotta be a poker player sometimes.

Call the customer and ask him how soon can he be down here to sign the change order so 4 guys can get back to work. Let him off the hook only after he sweats it a little bit and realizes things are being run your way not his way. It will make all the diffrence all the way down the project.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts