Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do those who have a W&H get out of thier knives? Just your standard M2 HSS knives. I know it varys alot on what you are milling but what is your experiance? I have just started using the W&H....Milled a buch of various profiles in Clear Poplar I got on sale, $1 for a 5x4-16...yeah $1. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,712 Posts
Depends on what you mean by last.

If you mean sharp enough to do a decent job, you should get about 1000-3000 LF before they start to get dull enough to load the motor.

If you mean before they become knicked and have to sand the profile, could be the first board you put through it. A small pc of sand or a hard knot can cause this.

If you mean how long before they need to be replaced. Don't worry, you will likely never need to replace them.

Sharpening is a simple as sending them out to a molding grinder. The first sharpening will likely be the most expensive. They will have to make a template for the specific profile. After that it will be less expensive to get it sharpened.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on what you mean by last.

If you mean sharp enough to do a decent job, you should get about 1000-3000 LF before they start to get dull enough to load the motor.

If you mean before they become knicked and have to sand the profile, could be the first board you put through it. A small pc of sand or a hard knot can cause this.

Thank you...I just really had no idea:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts