Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12v sub woofer i had for my car which is now sold is it possible to use the amplifier i have in the house obviosly a 230v will i need any kind of resistor or what steps to i take to ensure i do not damage the sub???

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
voltage reply

Unregistered said:
I have a 12v sub woofer i had for my car which is now sold is it possible to use the amplifier i have in the house obviosly a 230v will i need any kind of resistor or what steps to i take to ensure i do not damage the sub???

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes you would have to fuse down the amplifier, but your best bet is to go and buy a new car amplifier. Even if you can fuse down the house amp it will still sound like .

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
Is the sub powered? I didn't think car subs were powered. I guess you are in Europe because 230 volts is not really obvious. Most everyone I've seen on here are from the US.
As long as the sub is just a cone speaker and not powered off 12 volts you can use it on any system. Just make sure the impedance (ohms) is correct for the system.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Car subs come powerd and non powered. I used to be a huge enthusiast when I was younger. MY sound system was always worth more than my car when I was in my teens.

I always had subs that were intended for the car in my house on a house amp and never noticed any distortion or poor sound quality. THe bass kicks, and that's wht subs are for.

While I don't know about fusing down and that sort of thing I just made sure the amp didn't over p[ower the subs, and the ohms were matched.

I agre with speedy, if the sub is powered (built in amp) DOn't try plugging this into your wall. YOu CAN go buy a converter from radio shack that will covert ac to dc... or do like me when I was testing equip in my house before I installed it... I used a car battery charger to convery ac-dc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts