Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long of a voicemail can you possibly listen to before you just delete it?

Some guy left me over a 3 minute voicemail. I got through about 45 seconds before I called back the number.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Always state your phone number clearly and REPEAT it. Say it as if it's the first time we are hearing it because in most cases it's true.

Always leave a brief subject too. I don't return calls that simply say call me because they are usually sales calls.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
First & last name, company or developement, short description/reason for call, & clear reasonably slow phone number. It shouldn't have to be replayed more than twice to get all info.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Someone has to tell them, as I was told.

I seldom if ever say what I'm calling about. If you want a prompt call back -

"This is...please return my call when you get this message"

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
If it is a buddy;
" Yo, Ball Sack, call me. " is about all it might be. :)

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
My greeting says, "don't leave a message, I'll just call you back."

Who has a phone number that doesn't show up?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I hate and feel like a fool when I hear hello...and I say hello then they gotcha leave a message.
Worse when I fall for it more than once.

I know opposite to BB's post.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Someone has to tell them, as I was told.

I seldom if ever say what I'm calling about. If you want a prompt call back -

"This is...please return my call when you get this message"
If I got this message from someone I knew, I'd call back. Otherwise, no.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
if I'm leaving a message with a friend, I'll leave what I call the charley brown message. My name, one or two key words mixed in with a bunch of blah's.

example:
blah, blah, Jim, blah, blah, fishing, blah,blah, blah, Saturday.

works for me.

·
90%-er
1,438 Posts
Proper voicemail etiquette, hang up and send a text.

I'm happy (usually) to get messages from customers, but it drives me God damn nuts when people like my brother call and leave a voicemail that only says "call me back". AHHHHH! I know you called for a reason, I'll call you back. Or, if you're going to leave a voicemail, make it worth listening to! Or just send me a text man.

Yeah, I know. Middle class white people problems. Probably shouldn't be bitchin'

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I had a customer once leave me a voicemail so long my phone cut them off so they called back and left the second half in a second message, it was something close to like 8 minutes long.

Leave me your name, a number where I can reach you and why you are calling, I don't need a life story, knowing you are inquiring about a CCTV system is fine, I don't need to know you need it because of a crazy ex in my voicemail.

And please people for the love of god, say your phone number slowly preferably in 3 parts, area code, pause, first 3 digits, pause, last 4 digits, then repeat it. I hate having to go over your voicemail 6 times to figure out your phone number.

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
I completely ruined a voicemail the other night. I got caught in the mental breakdown of long pauses, misspeaking, repeating myself, getting flustered, forgetting to say my name, etc.
Awful. Just awful. There should really be a "if you completely f'd up and need a do-over, press 5" option.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I always think it's odd when I call a number and it goes to voice mail and the person lists several resons why they couldn't answer the phone, ie: I am on the other line or away from my desk or out of the office.... Is that really necessary?

·
90%-er
1,438 Posts
I always think it's odd when I call a number and it goes to voice mail and the person lists several resons why they couldn't answer the phone, ie: I am on the other line or away from my desk or out of the office.... Is that really necessary?
It's a weird habit from 40 years of collective answering machine etiquette. It's odd to predict ahead of time why you're going to be unable to answer the phone, isn't it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
On the other hand, all I want on your greeting is your name, and "please leave a message".

I figured out you didn't answer the phone, I don't care why you can't, I know you'll call me back (or you won't, which is its own message), and I don't want to listen to your machine.

I just want to leave a message. Right now. And I'll be brief.

My messages are almost always shorter than your greeting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts