Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
if I'm leaving a message with a friend, I'll leave what I call the charley brown message. My name, one or two key words mixed in with a bunch of blah's.

example:
blah, blah, Jim, blah, blah, fishing, blah,blah, blah, Saturday.

works for me.

·
90%-er
1,534 Posts
Proper voicemail etiquette, hang up and send a text.

I'm happy (usually) to get messages from customers, but it drives me God damn nuts when people like my brother call and leave a voicemail that only says "call me back". AHHHHH! I know you called for a reason, I'll call you back. Or, if you're going to leave a voicemail, make it worth listening to! Or just send me a text man.

Yeah, I know. Middle class white people problems. Probably shouldn't be bitchin'

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I had a customer once leave me a voicemail so long my phone cut them off so they called back and left the second half in a second message, it was something close to like 8 minutes long.

Leave me your name, a number where I can reach you and why you are calling, I don't need a life story, knowing you are inquiring about a CCTV system is fine, I don't need to know you need it because of a crazy ex in my voicemail.

And please people for the love of god, say your phone number slowly preferably in 3 parts, area code, pause, first 3 digits, pause, last 4 digits, then repeat it. I hate having to go over your voicemail 6 times to figure out your phone number.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I always think it's odd when I call a number and it goes to voice mail and the person lists several resons why they couldn't answer the phone, ie: I am on the other line or away from my desk or out of the office.... Is that really necessary?

·
90%-er
1,534 Posts
I always think it's odd when I call a number and it goes to voice mail and the person lists several resons why they couldn't answer the phone, ie: I am on the other line or away from my desk or out of the office.... Is that really necessary?
It's a weird habit from 40 years of collective answering machine etiquette. It's odd to predict ahead of time why you're going to be unable to answer the phone, isn't it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
On the other hand, all I want on your greeting is your name, and "please leave a message".

I figured out you didn't answer the phone, I don't care why you can't, I know you'll call me back (or you won't, which is its own message), and I don't want to listen to your machine.

I just want to leave a message. Right now. And I'll be brief.

My messages are almost always shorter than your greeting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.