Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built and maintain two websites for fraternal .org's. I'm (using 1&1 - Coffee Cup software vsd / html) I've gone through an 18 mo. learning curve and have a good foundation for this stuff now. Now its time for me to get on with my own project.

I tried to find the thread here about Vista Print websites but cannot find it. It said something about "except a VP website or don't use it"? I'm giving it a trial now. There's a template that really appeals too me, not to say I have others I can make or choose from.

What's the deal with VP websites ? The gbu ?

·
Banned
846 Posts
My website is Vista Print. Only costs $20.00 a month and I get email with it. This winter I want to add more pages and pictures. I don't know much about websites and Vista Print makes it easy to have and change one. I'm very happy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Web Builder 5 its like 35.00 and go daddy for hosting a url. I hate the 20.00 a month sites with there free design crap you can only use it on there servers hosting cost 5 bucks a month buy it for the year will be like 55-60 bucks plus the program.

Web Builder 5 has a free all working demo to try out first as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
I designed a program for people needing a website that allows them to add their own information and edit it whenever they like. Each plan comes with a contact page with a form that people can use to easily send you a message. You can get a 1, 3 or 6 page website and an optional photo gallery.

1 page + contact page = 2 pages for $100 a year.
3 page + contact page = 4 pages for $150 a year.
6 page + contact page = 7 pages for $200 a year.

Photo Gallery is an additional $50 a year.

You also have a password protected admin area where you can create new pages, add, edit, delete content, hide pages, delete pages.

There's several styles you can choose from. You don't need a domain name. There's no contract to sign. It's just a simple, yet professional way for you to quickly and easily get a website.

I don't design websites full time. I'm a remodeling contractor near Montgomery, AL and I came up with this program to help other small businesses around here, although anyone anywhere can use it. You can Google "home remodeling Montgomery al" and you can see my contracting website near the top of the list.

This is proof that you can get a good Google ranking even with a sub-domain. I've designed many websites as sub-domains for other small businesses and their business has grown because of it. Their website also shows up on the first page of a Google search near the top of the list. I know how to get a good search ranking - without paying for it.

It doesn't matter who you use for your website as long as you're happy with it. The most important thing is to HAVE a website and to place the bulk of your effort into your message to your site visitors.

Don't crowd your Home page with a bunch of graphics or images. People are impatient and if your website takes too long to load up people will go somewhere else. Your Home page should load up quickly, then lead people to other pages showcasing some of your work.

More people still connect to the Internet via a dial-up modem. If you make your website fast for these people it'll be that much faster for broadband users. No one has ever lost a visitor to their website because it was too fast. Don't limit your number of potential customers by designing only for broadband users.

Here's a good axiom to use when designing websites: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

You can add all kinds of neat high-tech things to your website, but will it really help you to sell your company or product? Or will the lag it creates cause more people to leave because it's too slow?

Web designers will try to sell you these neat things because it means more money for them. But, I'd rather have a website that benefits my visitors more than it satisfies my ego. This ultimately will put more money into my pocket and that will please me more.

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
I say no. I got some biz cards printed about 2 years ago for free right?. Wrong. They charge me something like, $15 per month on 2 separate months to my credit card (gave them this info, I think when I signed up).

I checked my bank account online and it just listed a phone number and a unrecognizeable name when I called it. When I called, the lady said those charges are from vista print. I told them to stop charging my card and that was the end of it. :mad:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I designed a program for people needing a website that allows them to add their own information and edit it whenever they like. Each plan comes with a contact page with a form that people can use to easily send you a message. You can get a 1, 3 or 6 page website and an optional photo gallery.

1 page + contact page = 2 pages for $100 a year.
3 page + contact page = 4 pages for $150 a year.
6 page + contact page = 7 pages for $200 a year.

Photo Gallery is an additional $50 a year.

You also have a password protected admin area where you can create new pages, add, edit, delete content, hide pages, delete pages.

There's several styles you can choose from. You don't need a domain name. There's no contract to sign. It's just a simple, yet professional way for you to quickly and easily get a website.

I don't design websites full time. I'm a remodeling contractor near Montgomery, AL and I came up with this program to help other small businesses around here, although anyone anywhere can use it. You can Google "home remodeling Montgomery al" and you can see my contracting website near the top of the list.

This is proof that you can get a good Google ranking even with a sub-domain. I've designed many websites as sub-domains for other small businesses and their business has grown because of it. Their website also shows up on the first page of a Google search near the top of the list. I know how to get a good search ranking - without paying for it.

It doesn't matter who you use for your website as long as you're happy with it. The most important thing is to HAVE a website and to place the bulk of your effort into your message to your site visitors.

Don't crowd your Home page with a bunch of graphics or images. People are impatient and if your website takes too long to load up people will go somewhere else. Your Home page should load up quickly, then lead people to other pages showcasing some of your work.

More people still connect to the Internet via a dial-up modem. If you make your website fast for these people it'll be that much faster for broadband users. No one has ever lost a visitor to their website because it was too fast. Don't limit your number of potential customers by designing only for broadband users.

Here's a good axiom to use when designing websites: "Just because you can doesn't mean you should."

You can add all kinds of neat high-tech things to your website, but will it really help you to sell your company or product? Or will the lag it creates cause more people to leave because it's too slow?

Web designers will try to sell you these neat things because it means more money for them. But, I'd rather have a website that benefits my visitors more than it satisfies my ego. This ultimately will put more money into my pocket and that will please me more.

First of all you do need a domain wtf you going to tell your customer to type in some long url/yoursite. 2nd google does rank domains diffrent 3rd for 250.00 a year i can have 4 web sites with all the pics I want.

To pay for something like this is insane you cant take it with you you cant move it. Its as bad if not worse than yahoo and vista. If you can lay out a flyer you can make your own web site. for 100.00 or less and that includes the program.

This program is as good as yahoo if not better http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/
and its 39.95

Godaddy hosting and url cost 55-65 for the year dont throw your hard earned money out the window.

If your two broke to by the program you can download it from places like www.isohunt.com just type in web builder but beware its Illegal and you need to download the utorent first also beware of virus from any torrent

·
Registered
18 Posts
First of all you do need a domain wtf you going to tell your customer to type in some long url/yoursite. 2nd google does rank domains diffrent 3rd for 250.00 a year i can have 4 web sites with all the pics I want.

To pay for something like this is insane you cant take it with you you cant move it. Its as bad if not worse than yahoo and vista. If you can lay out a flyer you can make your own web site. for 100.00 or less and that includes the program.
With all due respect ScaryLari, you don't know what you're talking about.

I have lots of people with a website setup as a sub-domain on my server and they show up on the first page of search results and they get lots of business from their website. What else is there to want?

My website program is also a database driven website. The person who leases a website has full control over their information. They can add additional pages when they need them and add their own information themselves. They can also edit the information on any of their web pages as often as they want at no additional charge. This saves them from having to pay a web master to make the changes for them. Plus, the information is updated immediately.

If they want to work on the content of a particular page they can go to their admin area and hide the page (except the Home page) from public view while they work it. If they no longer need a web page they can delete it.

If someone decided that they wanted to get their own domain and their own website, and if they liked what they have been using with me - I would set it up on their own server. As long as their server had Php and MySQL capabilities.

My website program has a lot to offer. If anyone needed any help I would be glad to give it, often at no charge. I made a website for a Civil War group a couple of years ago, and just last night I added a discussion board to their website similar to this one. I modified it to look exactly like their website and I did it at no charge. You tell me who else would do that.

I own a remodeling company and that's how I make my living. Prior to my getting into the construction industry I was an Optician and owned my own optical store. So I'm pretty versatile and I have many talents.

I like helping people, especially small business owners. Business is what I'm good at and I believe strongly in helping others who are in business. I have given free websites to several people whose business was struggling and they couldn't afford to spend even a hundred dollars. I also gave them free help in growing their business. Some of these were other contractors in my area.

In regard to customers having to type in a long name (sub-domain) - it isn't that bad. My website is only 7 letters plus the dot net. That isn't a whole lot of typing. One advantage to this is that it doesn't matter if someone else is already using their business name as a domain. For instance, how many businesses in the U.S. would you guess uses the name "Sam's Auto" for their business? To get their own domain they would have to come up with something else if that name was already taken. With me they wouldn't have to. Their web address would be SamsAuto.mysites.net (not really mysites.net but the same number of letters).

Anyway, for those who want to get their own domain name and design their own website - fine. They don't need me. I offer a product for people who want to get a website quickly and easily, and who don't want the responsibility of maintaining it themselves. It's not insane to everyone, some view it as a matter of convenience.

·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
You spend a lot less money using services like these. But you lose a lot of business in the process. Hire a freelance web designer from elance.com it's well worth every penny.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You spend a lot less money using services like these. But you lose a lot of business in the process.
How would you loose business? I ask because the people who use my service tell me their business has increased.

Granted, there are website programs out there that if you used them for your business website you probably would lose business. Programs like myspace and facebook for instance.

If you commissioned the guys at Orange County Chopper to make a motorcycle especially for you it would probably cost you $150,000. But just because you spent $150,000 on this motorcycle doesn't mean that it will ride or perform better than a $10,000 production bike. It may look cool, but if you've ever rode a hardtail bike before you know it's not very comfortable.

I also design custom websites for people to use on their own server under their own domain name. But this is not cheap. I also do a lot of database design work and this too is not cheap. But for those who want to spend more... OK. But their website will not do anything more than the ones I lease for $100 - $200 a year.

I can get a sub-domain website to show up on Google's first page just as easily as I can get a stand alone website to show up on Google's first page. And if you had both websites opened up side by side, you wouldn't be able to tell which was the sub-domain without looking at the address bar. And how many people look at the address bar and say, "OH NO! It's a sub-domain" and then leave? Who does that?

I can charge less for the websites I lease because I'm not having to re-invent the wheel. When someone wants one I just create the sub-domain, upload the website, create the databases and BAM... a professional website ready to go to work and earn money.

Not everyone can afford to pay me $2000+ for a custom designed website with custom designed database support. But I believe firmly that if you are in business you need to have a website. So I developed my website lease program so that everyone can easily afford a professional website.

There are two ways you can make money - sell less for more or more for less. With my websites I do both. I lease a lot of websites for less money, which adds up nicely. And I make custom websites for much more money but fewer of them.

When I was a kid I would cut grass for $3-$5. Occasionally I would come across someone that said they were going to do it themselves when they got their mower fixed. I went and bought a book and learned how to repair small engines. So the next time someone said their mower wasn't working I got the job of repairing it. I was only 9 years old, but even then I recognized the need to try and eliminate every possible way someone could prevent me from earning their business.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
When I was a kid I would cut grass for $3-$5. Occasionally I would come across someone that said they were going to do it themselves when they got their mower fixed. I went and bought a book and learned how to repair small engines. So the next time someone said their mower wasn't working I got the job of repairing it. I was only 9 years old, but even then I recognized the need to try and eliminate every possible way someone could prevent me from earning their business.
smart freak'n kid :thumbsup:

I was probably melting plastic soldiers in my back yard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was probably melting plastic soldiers in my back yard.
Yeah, me too. But one day two brothers that lived down the road each got a mini-bike for their birthday. I was watching them one day when my dad came in from work. He looked at me and asked if I'd like a minibike too. I said, "Sure!" He patted me on the back, said "OK son", and walked off.

A couple of days later he came home from work with a used lawnmower and a gas can. He told me if I wanted a minibike bad enough I'd earn the money to get one. He also said that I had to give him half of what I earned until I paid him back for the mower and gas can.

I earned $3 or $5 a yard cutting grass. One day I was pulling my lawnmower past a vacant house that was for sell. I could hardly see the sign because the grass was so high. I called the realty company and said that the house might sell better if the grass was cut and that I would do it for $10. They told me to cut it and asked if I would keep up the yard at other houses they had for sell. I called other realty companies and got their business too.

I cut grass, fixed lawnmowers and raked leaves in the fall. Whatever I could do to earn money.

I poo pooed a minibike and bought a motorcycle instead. I had to jump on it to get going because it was higher than my crotch and when I stopped I had to slide off to reach the ground so the bike wouldn't fall over. I'd tie my lawnmower to the back of my motorcycle so I could travel further distances to cut grass and earn more money. When I turned 16 I bought a car with my own money.

I liked earning my own money. It gave me a sense of independence.

·
Sponge
175 Posts
My advice is to do what you do best and Pay some web guy a few hundred to set you up and get back to work.
I pay $5. a month for my site and comes with 100 emails and I own it.

Template or not. What do I care if 1000 people have sites that look like mine. There are like 1billion websites. As long as it looks good and get me calls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts