Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not to piss any one off but i have been roofing for a long time i have been all over the states roofing and now own a susseful roofing company and listing to some of you make a lot of sense but others is a joke the way you make it sound is you guys are the virgin mary's of roofing here are some example's i will not recover a roof , i will walk away if a home owner has there own materials, i never just leave felt on a roof with out shingles i use a tarp also now we all know that sounds to good to be true and as we all know recovering a roof is not a bad thing as i do agree tearing off the old roof is better but we all have recovered a roof on more than once, we all hve installed a recover on a flat roof, and we all know that people do not cover felt with tarps the only reason some one would do thatis because they do not believe in there ability to dry in a roof with felt if i was a home owner calling one of you and it sounded to perfect i would pass you by it is kind of like the people who say they know everything its a turn off no i am not saying you are not good roofers because hell lets face it you guys are very skilled it seems like and i myself have learned a few things from you all but come on that sounds to good well thats my opion anyway

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
thanx for adding your opinion. That's what this board is all about.

You might want to add more periods and commas and seperate your sentances and such because your post is very difficult to read.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Dadz- One of the things I find most disconcerting about web forums is that sometimes it's impossible to discern the 'tone' of a post. For instance, is your comment most appropriately interpreted as:
1. A dig on letscut
2. A reprimand of Florcraft
3. An unbiased observation
I'm thinking that your use of an exclamation point is indicative of '2' but I can't say that I'm sure of your intent. Which is it?

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
letscut said:
i have been roofing for a long time i have been all over the states roofing and now own a susseful roofing company
What area(s) does your company service?

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I know who youre talking about, and I know what this poster is saying in each of these circumstances. I believe he is doing everything he can to take care of the customer and avoid hassles.

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
P.S. You do not have to be ignorant to be a roofer. Periods and commas are nice. Even roofers know what they are for. I mean the perfect roofers do. LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Virgin Mary Roofers Part II

Okay, I see your point about the commas, sorry. Here's my point I am not disrepecting anyone, all I am saying is that no roofers cover their roof with a tarp once it as been felted. I mean come on what would be the reasoning for that?? The only reason I see is that you are not confident in felting the roof properly. For the ones out there, the ones that say recovering a roof is a bad thing its not. Sure tearing off the old roof is better. I guess what I am trying to say through both of my posts is that you are very talented from what I have read. I myself have learned a thing or two from your comments. But some of the posts I have read make it sound like you are the perfect roofing company, and you very well might be but it just sounds too good to be true.
Like I said before I have worked for many companies in different states and now own my own successful company; I think. Myself and other companies would not be in business today if we didn't do recovers and only did those jobs for which we supplied the material. I guess I am different from everyone else I am here to please the customer so I will do what the homeowner requests as long as I know the job is done right and will not leak. Because in my opinion the homeowner is always right. Like I said "Hire the Best or Leak Like the Rest". :Thumbs:

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
I see your side. I, however, agree with the virgin mary also, at least on some of his issues.

I do not do nail-overs either....it is simply not a good practice IMO. Most times I have looked at roofs when people wanted nail-overs, the roof had been leaking for some long period of time and they did not want to pay to tear off and ensure that roof deck is sound and can support and retain the new roof covering.

On the other hand, if the customer wants to supply the material, I feel the need to ask "Why?" Sometimes people will need to have absolute total control over every move every person on the project makes. I cannot keep production up with these people. We have to examine the reasons.

Other service businesses will not install owner supplied parts, like the auto repair people. If they do it, they will not warranty it.

I am willing to leave a roof under felt as long as I do the felt inspection. There HAS to be a dope check over the entire roof area under felt. Small tears and rips and corners around protrusions are prone to leak without it. I do it all the time because I like to tear off the whole roof and then roof the whole thing in. I do not get leaks through felt.

I think he promotes his practices as he sees fit and does so to take care of his customers the best he can. I have heard many other roofers say they do not leave felt to watertight the place and only tear off as much as they can replace in a day, but then what about the tie-in?

·
catalfanoc
61 Posts
the only reason to cover the felt paper is to keep the dew off of it, so you can shingle in the morning. Reroofs are fine you just make the homowner sign a contract saying that you don't warranty it for more then a year. Before you do it just check the roof to make sure the wood is in good enough shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pipe...I think your getting your pipes crossed...it was an observation, a funny, not ment to insult, spur of the moment kind of thing. If anyone is lousy at English, punctuation, it would be me. Life is too short, laugh a little, dont take it as an insult and hang in there. No (!) this time. Your friend....dadzo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts