Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
I use both... I do alot of window installs solo (mostly Milgard vinyls which are the windows de jour here) I always throw in screws into the flange near the corners so if I have to adjust it a little it is not a problem. Once the corners are set I nail the rest of it off with 2" galv hand drive roofers.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
whats the big deal with screwing them in ,i love screwin things in with my impact:thumbup:
if your doing your trim right you usually have to accommodate the flange thickness anyway

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
whats the big deal with screwing them in ,i love screwin things in with my impact:thumbup:
if your doing your trim right you usually have to accommodate the flange thickness anyway
This is true, I always rabbet out the back of my trim 1/8'x 1 1/2" to accommodate the nail flange on the window.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I've never screwed in a window, but if they spec out screws, use screws. I doubt they will warranty their windows if you don't install it to their specs.

Btw, why do people use roofing nails? I've used roofing nails on windows before, and I find I end up hammering my fingers more than the nails. I always thought it was dumb, why not use 8's?

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
Btw, why do people use roofing nails? I've used roofing nails on windows before, and I find I end up hammering my fingers more than the nails. I always thought it was dumb, why not use 8's?
I think it might have something to do with shank to head ratio... As to hammering one's digits that is partly why I use a 2", lets you get the thumb out of the way:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I always use plastic top roofing nails...the ones roofers use to hold down the paper.

Sam
If anyone is reading this in 2021 (like me, lol) you shouldnt use button caps for installing windows. The reason is that the caps create a bubble under the self-adhered window flashing where the surface isn't flat, and the flashing doesn't adhere as well. This can open up pathways for water intrusion, or just lead to poorly adhered flashing. Tyvek installation instructions for window flashing call for all button caps to be held at least 8 inches from rough openings for this reason. Im a former Tyvek rep (9 years experience), building envelope consultant (5 years experience).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts