Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YKK windows - big nail fin.....2x6 walls new construction

Deck screws? Roofing nails?

The 'instructions' call for #10 stainless pan heads.

What do you use?

Thx
MHM

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
YKK windows - big nail fin.....2x6 walls new construction

Deck screws? Roofing nails?

The 'instructions' call for #10 stainless pan heads.

What do you use?

Thx
MHM
Well you can call me funny, but I believe in following the directioons.
That being said, we mostly use roofers, but you may have code issue in Florida that says you can't!:thumbsup:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,915 Posts
90% nails, but if there's any chance at all you'll have warranty issues... I imagine you'd be screwed.

·
slave driver
82 Posts
As a supplier and specifier for YKK and other window manufacturers, please for your sake and your customers, follow the YKK installation manual to a T.
If it calls for a # 10 stainless fastener, use it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
As stated in another reply. Follow the Manufacturers instructions. Also, Florida was mentioned. When installing there, a copy of the Manufacturer's installation instructions are posted at the building site. These are obtained from Florida's web site of approved prodcts. I believe Texas follows the same protocol. Not sure about the rest of the coastal states.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YKK man -

While the cartoon-like instructions call for stainless Pan heads - all the pan heads i've seen have a deep head and would mess up my exterior casing/trim, unless I rabbit out a groove for the screw heads.

I love roofing nails because they eliminate this problem - i.e, they sit flush w/ the fin. But, I'm not going that route via the instructions and the Fla inspectors

The BOAF website does not list YKK windows - although I do have a Fla Aprroval code

SO, what exact brand of screws would you recommend for these windows? Anyone know of a good panhead corrosive-resistant #10 screw that would work in a YKK vinyl window?

Please no need for smart a$$ repsonses like using Button Tabs - seems like a waste of time.

Many thanks to anyone that can help - this post has been viewed a lot w/ very few responses.

·
Super Moderator
10,604 Posts
I have never screwed in a new construction window. We use roofing nails. We are in Ohio. What do others in Florica use?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I've never seen anyone use screws especially stainless screws to install a window. Please send a picture. :eek:
Are we talking houses or submarines? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
It actually is not funny. I believe the building codes in Fla had a big makeover because of Andrew.
It is the code, I believe you have to screw in fla..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
488 Posts
It actually is not funny. I believe the building codes in Fla had a big makeover because of Andrew.
It is the code, I believe you have to screw in fla..:thumbsup:
Live and learn, I'm not installing windows in Florida, could be code down there however the reasoning escapes me. :eek:

·
Glazier
63 Posts
When doing commercial installs in Florida all exterior fasteners had to be stainless or galvanized. As far as the head goes that would be an issue of tinsel strength... ie: will the head pop, if the winds are that power full to pop the heads then your screwed anyway. If there is a problem other than hurrican then that is where you may run into a problem if YKK comes out to inspect how the windows were installed. However, if the fin shears and the fasteners are still holding it in... YKK doesn't have a leg to stand on in a court room if their only argument was you were supposed to use panhead screws for the install... Your best bet would be to ask the local code official or architect what fasteners are acceptable. I had an instance were YKK's recommended install fasteners would not pass Florida inspection on an impact area. Hope this helps.

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
roofing nails for the same reasons others have mentioned-low profile does not mess up the trim on top as much.

if you must use screws-there is a 'truss' screw which has a wider head and may not sit as proud as a pan head screw. Fastenal may be a good source for the specialty screws you are looking for.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many thanks for the info and replies - esp. SuperGlz and Chevy:thumbsup:

I'm sick anyway so I've only got enough energy to bid jobs - no window installs this weekend......:no: cough cough sniff sniff

1 - 20 of 28 Posts