Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have a issue with a sub installed window producing whistle noises when traffic passes by the home. Any ideas on remedies?

·
Registered
1 Posts
window whistle

I had this problem once and the factory furnished header wasnt sealing off at top. When wind blew windows whistled. Putty knifed header out and applied small bead of clear silicon. No more fresh windows! grin

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I've been reading on the internet about a possible bad seal somewhere causing the whistle. I'll check the seal around the windows.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ran into this situation some years ago. It's still referred to as "the whistling window". To make a long story not so long. We received an audio tape from the homeowner. We took a brand new window and was able to replicate the sound with a furnace blower. We started to seal off the various areas of the double hung to no avail. By the time we were done we sealed the entire window shut with silicone. Let that dry and ran the blower. The window still whistled.
We took another window and applied foam wrap as a lot of manufacturers offer. We reinstalled the window and ran the blower. The whistling stopped.
We took a field trip to uninstall the window. And what did we find. A partially perimeter insulated window. The window was removed, and we applied foam wrap and reinstalled. Also, there were some voids in the coil capping that we sealed off for good measure.
What was happening in our situation was that air was blowing around the window framing and creating a noise that sounded like a whistle.
The wall construction was wood framing with brick facing and an approximate 1" void between the two. The window stradled this cavity.
Several follow up calls were made to the homeowner. The problem was solved.

·
Contractor
4,767 Posts
wouldn't it be easier to use an incense stick and try to identify the source of airflow (in or out of the window)? might not work on day w/ no wind outside, but then I wouldn't expect a blower to cause airflow unless it had a fresh air supply (like commercial installations).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts