Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vinyl siding repair

I have a repair job coming up on vinyl siding, It includes replacing the corner and some of the siding.

I have done vinyl siding but never repaired it, whats the best way to go about replacing the corner?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Hmm, - - that's a tough one.

For ease of explanation, - - let's discuss it like you were replacing the corner post only.

I don't know how many fancy tools you own, - - so let's just go with a pair of snips.

Start snipping upward from the bottom of your corner post, - - about 1/2" in from the outside edge of the corner (either side), - - snip it all the way up to the top, - - now your corner is still attached, but it is two separate pieces.

Starting from the bottom again, - - and the larger of the now two pieces, - - and gently pry out the post flange and nails, working your way all the way up, - - then do the same with the remaining partial post. You should have enough play in the siding itself, - - because it won't normally be nailed to close to the ends (plus it's nice warm weather).

Now take two lengths of scrap ship-lap siding (any color), about 1" short of the full lengths of your replacment post, - - and 'rip-snip' them whatever width it takes so that the 'flange-edge' of the siding will accept the flange of your corner post, - - and the flat edge of your siding is wide enough to allow you to nail into your 'blank' corner (probably about 4" wide to the underside of your flange). In other words, - - you're effectively making an 'over-sized' sill trim out of siding. Keep about 1/4" from the top to allow for expansion, - - and that will leave you about 3/4" short at the bottom.

Once both sides are nailed in (accurately in place), - - nails every 16" or so is fine, - - take your new corner post and 'sqeeze' it into place.

Let the bottom of your corner flanges 'rest' into the bottom lip of your bottom pieces of siding, - - keeping in mind that corner posts usually sit 'lower' then the siding itself (match to rest of house).

You now have a floating corner post, - - that can't go anywhere.

P.S. A little trickier, - - but you could actually custom-make these 'over-sized' sill trims with aluminum coilstock, - - which would give the benefit of a thinner 'receiver-flange' profile.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I didn't even read what tom said, but replacing corners is always hard because your nailing fin is covered by siding. So you have two options. 1) nail throught he siding... obviously a bad idea. 2) remove the siding to expose the fin. Lots of work but the only way to do it right. Remember vinyl siding is forgiving and can be all bent up, as long as it is not creased.

Aww hell just use liquid nails. :) ;)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
A quick way that many companies around here do it, they cut the existing corner post off at the area that covers the siding-essentially the corner post "face" leaving behind the nailing fin that is still nailed to the house and the "J" channel part with the siding still inside. Then on the new corner post you cut off the nailing fins part of the corner post and slip it over top of the still attached to house nailing fin/j channel-like the newer 2 peice corner posts are coming, then jsut use like colored screws on the insdie part of the built in J channel and screw through your new post into the exsisting left behind peices of post.

Hard to explain, but very simple to do and works great. Many jobs out there repaired with this method and you'd never know the difference without sticking your nose into the J channel part of the corner and looking for screws.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I replaced a corner last week the right way. Loosened siding on either side (got lucky, one side was vertical) and pulled the damaged corner out. Nailed new piece on and re-nailed siding. Took under an hour, and I have the piece of mind that it is installed correctly. Charged $50 + cost of corner.

Kevin

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Hey, IHI, - - that's a great method, - - if I were ever to get called on this kind of job, - - I'd give it a whirl.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I hope my post didn't offend anyone, I just feel that the only proper way to replace a corner is to start fresh. I know there are other ways that'll work, but I'm starting to become stubborn about these little things.

Tom R, I love your signature. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I agree the "proper way" is a new post, but when folks dont wanna spend the money to have me do it right, this is the next best option, very fast to do maybe 15minutes and I'm out...well maybe 20minutes, but alot less work and headache with old siding flopping back and forth gettin in my way :eek:

Just like getting into a car wreck, the correct way to fix that fender is a new one, but most of the time it gets a little bondo cuz it's quick and it's cheaper-end result new looking car again....same with corner post when done properly.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Kevin said:
I hope my post didn't offend anyone, I just feel that the only proper way to replace a corner is to start fresh.

Kev,

No offense taken around here, - - yours is of course, the preferred method, - - I just kinda thought he was asking for 'alternate' methods.

Actually, - - I'm still trying to get over the shock of you charging only $50!! Maybe I'm spoiled or something, - - but I can't even start up the truck for that. Then again, I don't know where you're from. Either way, that sounds like an absolute minimum of $150.

They need it done, - - you got the $kill to do it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
With the aid of a $5 siding zipper tool ,you can remove the shorter lengths of siding to allow you to nail new corner post back in place, this combined with a few trim coil nails set with aid of trim nail tool(looks like a nail set with hole for nail in tip) will secure corner post.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Kevin,

Yes, it is pitiful, - - but you can learn to 'market' yourself and get more, - - not to mention you need to establish some kind of 'minimum fee'.

Don't 'pit' yourself in with 'others' who will be out of business in a year or two, - - and don't even know enough to forsee it.

If siding doesn't pay 'jack' in your area, - - time to take on different kinds of work, - - and use the siding as a last resort.

One way to 'rise-above' the others is to take on the toughest jobs your skill-level can handle, - - there's a lot less competition involved.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
bergenbldr said:
set with aid of trim nail tool(looks like a nail set with hole for nail in tip)

Yeah, - - we've always called it a 'pea-shooter', - - but even though I own a few of them, - - I don't even know what it's really called. Anyone??

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't worry guys, this was a one time thing, I don't do vinyl siding installations. There isn't enough money in it.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Tom R said:
Actually, - - I'm still trying to get over the shock of you charging only $50!! Maybe I'm spoiled or something, - - but I can't even start up the truck for that. Then again, I don't know where you're from. Either way, that sounds like an absolute minimum of $150.
Yep... me too. I wouldn't cross the street for 50 bucks. When I arrive on the job, even before I step out of the truck, you already owe me more than 50 bucks.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Tom R, you talking about a trim nail setting tool? that's what it sounds like your describing, ours get used quite a bit, excellent tool :Thumbs:

There's money in siding, you just need to know how to market it. Typicall around here it's being sold on average for $350-$600/sq for vinyl, consider all material to cover a job usually runs $150-180/sq if your not making money, your goofy!!! I'll take windows over siding any day, but when I can make $5-6K in a weeks time, guess what Ill do:)

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Yeah, I guess that would be it, - - a trim-nail-setting-tool, - - I guess I was just hoping for a fancier name, - - in that case, - - I'll stick with 'pea-shooter'. :cheesygri

And yeah, - - I haven't done a siding job in I don't know how many years, - - but I charged $350/sq (inclusive) about 15 years ago.

·
edwardsconstruction.org
92 Posts
I charge a minimum of 500.00 for a repair. even for just a couple pieces
of siding. Of course My only competition here is Sears. :thumbup:

Must be tough with a lot of siders around. In California (Bakersfield) You
might see a break on a truck once every 2-3 years going north on hwy

·
Registered
383 Posts
Like Grumpy said, 2) remove the siding to expose the fin. Lots of work but the only way to really do it right. And, of course, $50 just doesn't cut it. If the HO doesn't want to pay a fair price to have the work done right, just got to move on and leave that work for the local handyman.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts