Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a repair job coming up on vinyl siding, It includes replacing the corner and some of the siding.

I have done vinyl siding but never repaired it, whats the best way to go about replacing the corner?

Thanks in advance.
sorry I posted in the wrong forum

·
Registered
30 Posts
NE Builder,

We often found we could make a cap to cover over the old corner. We would get the identical or similar matching as close as possible to the existing corner. We would remove the nailing flange from the new corner leaving only the front face of the new corner and ¼-1/2” returns.

We would then snap the new corner directly over the old corner. The returns on the new corner would wrap around the edge of the old corner. In other words we laminated a new face to the existing corner. The new corner then would be mechanically attached in a hidden area so it cold not blow off or move. Required 1 hour.

Richard Kaller

·
Registered
8 Posts
Overlap works!

Rich is on the money. Have overlapped many times. You don't even have to mechanically fasten anywhere - just put a bead of construction adhesive over the old corner before placing the new on.

·
Idosidejobs
127 Posts
I've done that because of careless dings and dongs from other tradesman
but if it a supper corner 20ft I've used a j-channel up against the corner running from top to bottom. depends on the situation I had nail lite cedar you
know how it would kill if you had to take down a 20 ft wall down for some damaged shingle on the binding corner :furious: ..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Richard Kaller

Thats a great idea, Ill keep that in mind next time Im doing a repair. Thanks for the advice Rich

·
unlicensed hack
1,087 Posts
Yeah, that is a great idea. I've never seen or done it, but will if it ever comes up.

THANKS for the tip.

Speaking of tips & tricks...... How you coming on the new forum Nathan?

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maj said:
Yeah, that is a great idea. I've never seen or done it, but will if it ever comes up.

THANKS for the tip.

Speaking of tips & tricks...... How you coming on the new forum Nathan?
HOLY CRAP:eek: :blink: That was my first post when I found this site.:w00t:

·
unlicensed hack
1,087 Posts
N.E.Bldg&Rest.LLC said:
HOLY CRAP:eek: :blink: That was my first post when I found this site.:w00t:

I didn't bring it back up. :sad:
Do you really think I've read all the thousands of posts ever made on this site?
I think NOT!! :no:

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maj said:
I didn't bring it back up. :sad:
Do you really think I've read all the thousands of posts ever made on this site?
I think NOT!! :no:
I wasn't being a smartazz:sad: Just saying wow realizing this is my first anniversary And I forgot about that post.

And yes it was a good idea it worked out good.:thumbsup:

What NEW site??????

·
unlicensed hack
1,087 Posts
I mentioned to Nathan about starting a forum for tips & tricks of the trade.

·
Finish Carpentry
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maj said:
I mentioned to Nathan about starting a forum for tips & tricks of the trade.
Yes I remember that now that you mention it, And I said it was a brilliant idea:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts