Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a customer with a home built in the late 40's with Asbestos. under that they have that old insulation board kind type stuff,no plywood.
owner wants us to side over the asbestos. how the heck will the nails stay secure if nailing into this insulation board which is like cardboard?
we obviously could nail only into studs but need to remove the shingles to find the studs.
i suggested removing everything and throwing tyvek and insulation board over the studs then applying the siding. he claims we could just go over the siding..i do'nt know how we could do it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
we have a customer with a home built in the late 40's with Asbestos. under that they have that old insulation board kind type stuff,no plywood.
owner wants us to side over the asbestos. how the heck will the nails stay secure if nailing into this insulation board which is like cardboard?
we obviously could nail only into studs but need to remove the shingles to find the studs.
i suggested removing everything and throwing tyvek and insulation board over the studs then applying the siding. he claims we could just go over the siding..i do'nt know how we could do it.
I wouldn' think that the asbestos is nailed to the studs because of the nailing pattern needed or that it is just nailed to the old insulation board.
Is it possible that there is sheathing under that insulation board?

Or
Maybe I'm missing something here,but why would you remove the siding and insulation board and then putting insulation board back on?
It doesn't sound like a professional approach if there is no sheathing of any kind.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have seen asbestos hung on homes with the old "celotex" insulation board and the nails are secured to nothing more than that. I guess the first coarse or two are into the rimboard and the rest of the nails rest on the coarse below.:blink: Paint keeps the nails from working themselves out.:w00t:

·
Banned
66 Posts
i guess if you do go over the existing siding and the abstestos cracks while nailing into it(common),you are at the mercy of the celotex insulation board .

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I have seen asbestos hung on homes with the old "celotex" insulation board and the nails are secured to nothing more than that. I guess the first coarse or two are into the rimboard and the rest of the nails rest on the coarse below.:blink: Paint keeps the nails from working themselves out.:w00t:
WOW!
That is scary.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
This is a job where you either do it right, or you walk away-seriously. If you decide to go over the asbestos, in time the house will develope a big fat belly along the bottom few courses because you will crack the asbestos as you nail up the new vinyl. It might not happen immediately, but they will crack, they have no way to stay intact unless you pre drill them with a hole larger than the siding nail itself, but in time the cracked panels turn into small pieces and all fall straight down....so then you left with a terrible looking job that has your name attached to it.

Bad news, to do it correctly, your paying thousands to have it abated since it takes special licsence, and procedures to ensure absoltely zero dust gets airborne, so that will likely be the deal breaker between you and the customer, and they'll hire some other hack to do the job that will not figure removing the asbestos and then leave them with a job that looks like absolute dog chit down the road.

·
Money Changer
804 Posts
This is a job where you either do it right, or you walk away-seriously.
I fully agree with this. Do it right, everything else suggested will eventually fail in some way or another.

Bad news, to do it correctly, your paying thousands to have it abated since it takes special license, and procedures to ensure absolutely zero dust gets airborne, so that will likely be the deal breaker between you and the customer, and they'll hire some other hack to do the job that will not figure removing the asbestos and then leave them with a job that looks like absolute dog chit down the road.
I'm not sure on this one. Unless things have changed from a couple years ago, I looked into a similar siding removal job and thought the same thing. Turns out as long as we weren't pulverizing it, we could have removed the siding and dumpsterized it.

I was surprised but it made sense. Sometimes people hear asbestos and immediately assume the worst. I would still look into it, but unless things have changed, it may be a simple removal and discard.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The few that have taken place in town they either bubble the entire house or have a person with a firehose watering down everything as they go...all day long....:censored:

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
if your not going to do a complete rip [best way]
nail or screw 1/2'' osb or ply over the exising siding to the studs instead of foam
wrb then siding

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
This is a job where you either do it right, or you walk away-seriously. If you decide to go over the asbestos, in time the house will develope a big fat belly along the bottom few courses because you will crack the asbestos as you nail up the new vinyl. It might not happen immediately, but they will crack, they have no way to stay intact unless you pre drill them with a hole larger than the siding nail itself, but in time the cracked panels turn into small pieces and all fall straight down....so then you left with a terrible looking job that has your name attached to it.

Bad news, to do it correctly, your paying thousands to have it abated since it takes special licsence, and procedures to ensure absoltely zero dust gets airborne, so that will likely be the deal breaker between you and the customer, and they'll hire some other hack to do the job that will not figure removing the asbestos and then leave them with a job that looks like absolute dog chit down the road.
The asbestos won't crack, it will shatter in to a bunch of pieces and end up in the bottom. If your in BFE, you may get away without the abatement issue. I did a roof a couple of years ago without any reprocussions and they knew what they were getting at the dump. Asbestos I believe is supposed to be wrapped in plastic a couple of times before added to the landfill. That would be the environmental impact. Dealing with OSHA and the liablity of having the HO and neighbors is going to be the bigger problem. Good luck

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
WOW!
That is scary.
I did replacement windows with my dad on a few of these when I was a teenager. The nails came out with little effort after the paint film was broken loose with a pair of side cutters. On the bright side, the removal was very clean, with no broken panels.:thumbup:
Damn those aluminum framed, single pane windows of the 50s.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Like Tomstumble and PA said......

Most likely you can remove the asbestos siding, double bag them and take them to your local landfill. I buy about 40 cardboard boxes to fit the siding. Place the bag in the box. Tape up with hd packaging tape. Much easier to handle.

Call your local landfill "manager" for input. You'll them have his name when you get to the gate.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Like Tomstumble and PA said......

Most likely you can remove the asbestos siding, double bag them and take them to your local landfill. I buy about 40 cardboard boxes to fit the siding. Place the bag in the box. Tape up with hd packaging tape. Much easier to handle.

Call your local landfill "manager" for input. You'll them have his name when you get to the gate.
Removing ACM requires a license and there are quite a few safety precautions that have to be taken during the abatement.

Once you start removing the ACM, you are now legally responsible for the way it is removed and handled.

The best thing to do is do the job right, if the ACM is being removed, it needs to be done by properly licensed contractors who follow all of the EPA and OSHA guidelines.

·
Banned
66 Posts
i don't suggest putting osb over the existing shingles if they are not in good condition. do a tear off and double bag the shingles. i will bet my bottom dollar that some hack will offer to do this job very cheaply and swear to the owner that going over the siding with 1/4 foam board is the best and easiest way to go. of course the home owner will listen to him because they are mainly concerned with saving a few bucks. those few bucks they saves is going to turn out to be one hell of an expense in a few years;if it takes that long.

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. A couple of idea's though.

#1 If you do not get the job because your smart and realize that to be done correctly it will cost more than a HO will probably pay and their are many that will be glad to "half ass" it and go over, make sure you have some reminder of your company at the house for the future redo. Fridge magnet or at the very least a card.

#2 I don't know about asbestos remediation, but for lead there are programs (in MI) that the HO can take advantage of offered by the state that give the HO monies or low interest loans to get rid of the hazardous materials. I would investigate those programs and go back to the HO with the info and a price to "do it right".

www.phbconstruction.com

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Unless things have changed in the last couple years that I do not know about....It is legal for a homeowner to remove their own asbestos with proper local permit.

Cheap pvc rainsuits ($5 at wally world) , a couple rolls of electrical tape, guaility chemical resp and gogles, and get after it

If they "HIRE" someone then all the lics and stuff get strict.

My exp is the stuff explodes when nailed either by hand or gun, and cracks when screwed.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Unless things have changed in the last couple years that I do not know about....It is legal for a homeowner to remove their own asbestos with proper local permit.

Cheap pvc rainsuits ($5 at wally world) , a couple rolls of electrical tape, guaility chemical resp and gogles, and get after it

My exp is the stuff explodes when nailed either by hand or gun, and cracks when screwed.
It use to be that way here,not sure now since I haven't had to deal with it.
Landfill would take it,double bagged and bury it,but now they ship it all out,so this may have changed.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts

It isn't the Homeowner doing the work, he is hiring someone to do the job.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Doesn't mean that HO can't get rid of his own and then have the house sided. It's one option if they for real want to save the money.

It is my job to look out for my customers best interests. If that means sending them to someone else, that is what I do. It would all depend on what the regulations say and what the HO is willing to go for.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts