Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was a siding contractor(amongst other things) in Calif and never even saw any vinyl siding, much less installed it.

I'm looking for a new cheap house and I took a look at this one. It's not a bad house, but it definitely has some siding issues. Is vinyl siding susceptible to deteriorating close to the ground. As you can see in the pics, there is a problem and it seems prevalent all around the house on the bottom pieces, including the vinyl trim.

What's the story and is it going to migrate upwards eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know that makes sense, though I think I would have learned a little quicker then they did apparently.

I think there was a box of siding in the garage and I think it was Royal, but I could be wrong.

How hard is it to replace the bottom layer?

·
Always Learning
8,472 Posts
Not hard at all. Unzip the lap, remove the damaged row, install new row, and re-lock the lap.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'd second the weed eater damage.
Watch some lawn guys and you'll know why it happened, they only care to make sure no grass is left untrimmed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Just use one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0082...nyl+siding&dpPl=1&dpID=31v5Dr6XNPL&ref=plSrch

Stick it in the seam and pull down and out. The piece will disconnect. Then pull the nails in the lower piece, swap it for a new piece and nail it back on (leave nails proud so siding can move).

Then pull the old siding down over the new piece with that same tool and push it in to lock it. It may make you curse a little of it doesn't wanna go back easy.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I have repair my share of weed whacker vinyl damage. Its not the siding thats sucks to repair its the corner post.
When I was around 13, my siblings and some friends had gotten into playing airsoft. We started with the little spring pistols playing around the house. Eventually had some pretty nice full auto guns a bit later.

One day we managed to shoot up the house (including the corner board).

Dad wasn't really happy and said it was a pain to fix. Now I know why...

·
Lazy Millennial
3,953 Posts
In my area you see a lot of vinyl siding. However you don't see it that close to the ground. Usually there is parging or stone taking up the bottom few feet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts