Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time doing self stick tiles, rental house. I installed the tiles in a small entry. There is a small gap between the tile and a metal rounded carpet threshold where dirt can gather. Also in several places the tile is not snug to the adjacent tile (1/32" or so). Dirt can gather in those openings also. Any thoughts on a filler. I've considered colored caulk or grout.

Thank

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,660 Posts
Haven't done those in probably 15 years. But when I did them, it was very easy. If you can screw up on self stick tiles, there's no telling what else you are incapable of doing.

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Nothing screams cheap like self stick tiles for all the better they hold up might as well glue a vinyl tarp to the floor. Maybe get a checkered pattern with a blue, maybe a green one.

·
Banned
846 Posts
On a rental property, yeah I believe self stick tiles. Tried to do those in my bathroom. Looked like a cheap motel when I was done. Called a pro, got some real tile. Much better.

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
Peel and stick tiles? Sorry, I mut be on the wrong site. I thought this was a pro board.

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Trade Listed: Construction and Remodeling.

Your questioning us on self stick tiles?
In a rental property at that.

Reactions: jtpro

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
To answer the question,

Take an exacto knife and cut little slivers off your scrap. Slips right in there and will stay put pretty well if you don't handle the adhesive side too much.

But yeah, For all the work it takes to cut em right and make it not look like a joke you may as well lay real tile or sheet vinyl.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I expected more, guess I got what I deserved for thinking someone could give me some good advice, I'll figure it out for myself like I usually do. Emailed Armstrong, hope to get a professional answer from them. Thanks anyway
Joe

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I expected more, guess I got what I deserved for thinking someone could give me some good advice, I'll figure it out for myself like I usually do. Emailed Armstrong, hope to get a professional answer from them. Thanks anyway
Joe
You need advise about installing self stick tiles and we are the bad guy's for giving you a hard time?Not to mention the fact that you left gaps between them..Sheesh.:rolleyes:

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Joe
:cry: Boo Hoo Hoo

GIGO - Garbage In = Garbage Out, in other words, ask a stupid question and you'll get some smart arse dumb answers here on CT :laughing:

Why don't you ask for a refund on your CT membership fees??? :w00t:

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Wait a minute, when I did my kitchen 5 years ago I did custom cabinets, Zodiak (quartz) tops, tile backsplash, undercabinet lighting, everything but the floor, we were running out of money and put down a heavy peel and stick viny figuring we would redo the floor in a couple of years.

Today, 5 years later people still tell me what a nice looking floor it is, many think its ceramic. Easy to clean and no scratches or wear marks despite the fact my kids and I go right from the yard to the kitchen.

Price at the time $.49 SF on clearance.
When clean it looks like a recent install.
I did a good layout and that helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts