Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ate a $100 porch post this week because I cut it to length before noticing a couple of scratches that would have been right at eye level. :censored:

But aside from that, we all run into scratched vinyl now and then, whether we do it or it's already there. Google doesn't really turn up much of anything for repairs. Does an effective product/procedure even exist?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Have not tried it on vinyl yet - but for solid surface toilet partitions we sand, wax and buff out the scratched in graffiti ......it takes a lot of time and for $100 I would just replace it like you did....... unless it was special order of course

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
we use a mini electric sander to buff it out, and then use "Gel-Gloss" to polish it.

Reactions: Tom Struble

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
......it takes a lot of time and for $100 I would just replace it like you did....... unless it was special order of course
Well, that particular post wasn't special order, but even so... till you eat the $100 and waste half a day running for the replacement so it pushes the one-day job into two, onsite repair doesn't sound too bad even if it takes a couple of hours.

we use a mini electric sander to buff it out, and then use "Gel-Gloss" to polish it.
That would be for a relatively superficial scratch? I've tried hand-sanding with a fine grit paper and then buffing, with lousy results.

I'll have to give that Gel-Gloss a try; thanks. My concern there would be whether the "polish" holds up over time.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
If it is vinyl, not fiberglass, then window companies carry liquid vinyl in a tube, works for repairing windows.

For polishing I use "Mothers" polishing cream.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it is vinyl, not fiberglass, then window companies carry liquid vinyl in a tube, works for repairing windows.

For polishing I use "Mothers" polishing cream.
That's the sort of thing I've been trying to source, with no luck so far. :sad:

Never heard of "Mother's"; I don't think it's sold in this area.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
toothpaste or baking soda and water on a cloth will sometimes work depending on how deep the scratch is. I use it for scuffs all the time

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
toothpaste or baking soda and water
Learned those back when I was a tadpole. :thumbsup:

For an ultra fine polish, you can use cigarette ashes. But the type of scratches I'm referring to would pretty much require filling. :sad:

·
Unscratch
24 Posts
Sand it and Nail polish it!

For most white vinyl window frames, we have:

1. Sanded it smooth, if it's a gouge.
  2. Fill it with some non automotive bondo.
  3. Re-sand it.
  4. Spray it with thinned down white nail polish. (It's laquer based and dries fast!
It's always worked well for us.

Rick Evans
Unscratch the Surface . com
888-986-7272

·
Banned
44 Posts
For most white vinyl window frames, we have:

1. Sanded it smooth, if it's a gouge.
  2. Fill it with some non automotive bondo.
  3. Re-sand it.
  4. Spray it with thinned down white nail polish. (It's laquer based and dries fast!
It's always worked well for us.

Rick Evans
Unscratch the Surface . com
888-986-7272
thats a great idea.

·
Unscratch
24 Posts
with a pre-val

I forgot to mention. I just used to keep a "pre-val" sprayer around and for a vinyl frame, it was definitely good enough if it was thinned down. You could even control the sheen by spraying a really thinned down few final coats if it was too shiny. And if you dont use the sprayer all the time or even if you do, I would always take the spray cap off and leave it in a jar with a lid and some lacquer thinner and it will be good for next time! This worked just as good as an airbrush and no compressor needed! Hope this helps.

Rick Evans
Unscratch the Surface. com
888-986-7272

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Please do let us know how it goes. I have yet to find a solution I'm happy with for high-visibility areas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts