Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop laughing.

I have a gal who wants to pull up the peel & stick squares in her kitchen and replace them with new box store peel & stick. The old ones aren't in bad shape actually, but you can lift them with a fingernail and see the luan (or whatever) underneath... with an adhesive residue from the tile you just lifted.

Is there any reasonable way to deal with that, or am I doomed to quote starting from scratch?

·
Master of none.
85 Posts

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I had a guy last week selling a four hundred thousand dollar house that he expects to close on in thirty days or less. He wanted me to lay sticky tile over existing failing sticky tile. "Yeah I dont want to take it up and I dont want to do tile. Can you help me witb that?" "No, you can do it."

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meh. She's renting and on a budget. Not too often you see anyone willing to put anything at all into someone else's property.

I hadda ask...

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
They make an adhesive remover. The sticky should only help but... If you can peel up what's there the glue is contaminated & staying soft. Maybe from cleaning the floor. Use the remover and scrape then prime.
I laid stick in place of stick over the winter. The customerinsis ted. It was a rental. I have knowidea h owiit's holding up. Sometimes a short term bandage buys time.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I am not a fan of stick and peel anything and would sure not do it over existing Especially if luan was under it.But,a few years back I was doing my own small bathroom and found a peel and stick tile at Menards made by Design Image.It was thicker.More like a commercial tile,had radius edges that allowed for a grout line and looked a lot like "real tile".Put it down,grouted with Polyblend unsanded grout and after 3 years it still looks like new.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
if possible, I'd just go over it. That, or possibly dig up whatever third or 4th layer under there when you pull too hard. Happens.

·
Registered
Remodel
29,620 Posts
Tiles that are stuck well come up better if heated with a heat gun. The heated adhesive scrapes up pretty easy too. Work on a diagonal, take 2 diagonals up to start, lay one new diagonal. Then take up and lay down as you go. Takes a lot of hours. You can't really go over with loose tiles underneath.

Commercial tiles are tougher to get up, but I've used a black pad in a floor machine to get scratches and dings out of them - they can last a really long time in a residential application.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
so how do you warrenty peel and stick ?, never mind what substraight its on, it all ways migrates

·
Registered
475 Posts
Stop laughing.

I have a gal who wants to pull up the peel & stick squares in her kitchen and replace them with new box store peel & stick. The old ones aren't in bad shape actually, but you can lift them with a fingernail and see the luan (or whatever) underneath... with an adhesive residue from the tile you just lifted.

Is there any reasonable way to deal with that, or am I doomed to quote starting from scratch?
I recommend taking it all out because of the way you describe it coming off so easy you can lift it with a fingernail. I've done a bunch of peel n stick for a retail furniture store that sold the tiles in the store and used them in their display rooms. So we did a handful of stores where each store was 2-3 thousand square feet of those tile in addition to the other flooring types they sold. I've also done a few kitchens/dining/laundry/hall for friends.

If you do peel n stick correctly it's a BEAR to get back off the plywood. So something might be wrong between the back of the tile and that "luan" ply. If it's slimy under there and easy to peel the existing THROW THAT PLYWOOD IN THE DUMPSTER.

it's not worth the aggravation/risk to lay into that residue

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
I agree. You need an exterior luan. I think it's called Integra or something similar. Add a sticky primer & you get a tight bonded floor. Skip a few steps.... they get loose and because they can't dry out any chemical cleaner used seeps under and lays there breaking down the bond.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you do peel n stick correctly it's a BEAR to get back off the plywood. So something might be wrong between the back of the tile and that "luan" ply. If it's slimy under there and easy to peel the existing THROW THAT PLYWOOD IN THE DUMPSTER.
Yeah, that's the situation, and basically what I told her. She's electing to hold off for now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
I don't know why people don't just go with linoleum if they want fake "tile". Quick easy and water proof. Costs about the same when you figure the time it takes to prep for the individual tiles and looks better anyway.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I don't know why people don't just go with linoleum if they want fake "tile". Quick easy and water proof. Costs about the same when you figure the time it takes to prep for the individual tiles and looks better anyway.
No. Linoleum is expensive. Vinyl is what you're thinking of. Sorry - pet peeve of mine. Everybody that doesn't install flooring insists on calling everything that comes on a roll that's not carpet " linoleum". It's not, stop it. Lol

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
No. Linoleum is expensive. Vinyl is what you're thinking of. Sorry - pet peeve of mine. Everybody that doesn't install flooring insists on calling everything that comes on a roll that's not carpet " linoleum". It's not, stop it. Lol
And linoleum is a lot harder to install than vinyl. Especially the IVC type vinyl.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts