Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. We recently had vinyl installed over cedar siding. I was going through some photos my wife took and stumbled across this image showing the frame of our home. I understand the cedar trim needed to be removed to install furring strips but this seems like a big red flag that the frames are exposed to the elements with just vinyl siding over it. Especially with the way the corner capping flairs out around the roofline.

Just look for feedback as this keeps me up at night lol.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Before this gets shut down. There is no vapor barrier, which makes flashings useless and will/may eventually cause damage.

I'm residing one now for the same reason. The original contractor didn't believe in tyvec, caulking, flashing or hanging the siding properly.

Ask your contractor how they are going to keep the water away from the building and get it out from behind the siding.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before this gets shut down. There is no vapor barrier, which makes flashings useless and will/may eventually cause damage.

I'm residing one now for the same reason. The original contractor didn't believe in tyvec, caulking, flashing or hanging the siding properly.

Ask your contractor how they are going to keep the water away from the building and get it out from behind the siding.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to have this exact conversation with them now and they just deflect that the extruded polystyrene insulation and air barrier under the cedar, plus the cedar (which has holes they were supposed to fix and didn't....) meets the code requirements for a water resistive barrier. The foamboards arn't even taped or penetrations sealed so it doesn't qualify (house built in 85)

We paid top dollar for this project and they subbed out the labor... so many red flag learning lessons on this one...

Anyway thanks again, I just wanted to make sure I'm not completely crazy on this one

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,857 Posts
It does look to be house wrap under the old cedar siding. I would of furred those corners out the put fanfold on top of it all.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,069 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Homeowner and/or Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.