Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
A good .046" thick panel is all you need-the benefits (to those who don't know) are the deeper profile and thicker nailing flange-all working together to keep the panels straighter so as not to have 'oil canning' (all though I only see that in poorly applied aluminium fascia). It's the cheap-cheap vinyl that has a thinner profile and smaller nailing hem which looks crappy-drive by a new planned subdivision and you may see how bad it can get. The cost between the premium panels and cheap stuff is about $80/sq vs $55/sq- on a small 15sq ranch you're talking ~$400 in materials.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
its mostly in the installation ,I've had good results using thinner/cheaper panels when i have too.Ive installed alot of wolverine encore and other ''builders panels'',i think most of the siding issues you see out there are simply a lack of nails where they should be

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
ah the old chruch key,beer in steel cans i also remember ''dad'' enjoying these:thumbup:

Me too, but why did they call it a church key?

·
Registered
29 Posts
oil canning

To clarify "oil canning".
When metal sheet or vinyl warms up it expands and so it can bow out or in between fasteners. To minimize the problem use slip fasteners and avoid glossy finishes as they make the bowing more noticeable.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
''oil canning'' can also be caused by improper adjustments on the roll forming equipment the manufactures use,its rare but it happens

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Me too, but why did they call it a church key?
One explanation for the term "Church Key" lends its origin an almost mythic significance; in Medieval Europe, monks and nobility were the only brewers. Lagering cellars in the monasteries were locked, as the monks guarded the secrets to their craft. The monks carried keys to these lagering cellars on their cinch, or belt. It may have been this key from which the "Church Key" opener got its name. (according to Wikipedia)

OR he could have been referring to LITERALLY the brand:

http://www.churchkeybrewing.com/beer.htm

Either way I don't think dad got ALL the beer out of each can:drink:
(not when junior was being "helpful" and getting and opening it for him:whistling)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Either way I don't think dad got ALL the beer out of each can:drink:
(not when junior was being "helpful" and getting and opening it for him:whistling)
:laughing: Tasted good back then....wouldn't touch them now.....piels, schmidts, schlitz:sick:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
:laughing: Tasted good back then....wouldn't touch them now.....piels, schmidts, schlitz:sick:
You forgot Old Milwaukee (sqwaukee),Pabst Blue,Old Style and BEER( no frills just a white can with the simple word in black)

I second the :sick: smiley NOT THAT WE WERE UNDER AGE DRINKING:whistling
but DAMN we were desperate!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts