Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would ask here since cant make up my mind on this one.
Have a small one story I keep as a rental house, may finally get some free time to work on it.
Anyway, it has re painted aluminum siding installed over just the black felt board. One side of the house had some hail damage or dings and had thought of replacing. Also this one side that gets the sun had an area that the nails were pulling out. Seems they only used 1” roof nails to attach.
So replace one side and paint the house or tear off and go with vinyl siding?
I have had quite a few Aluminum siding jobs that I painted and it does seems to hold paint 10 to 15 years. And normally don’t have to worry about the oil canning vinyl can sometimes get even when installed right. But small one story on a slab so not much more work with vinyl and I would use at least a .048 vinyl and don’t have to worry about painting or dents.
Thanks for the opinions.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Thought I would ask here since cant make up my mind on this one.
Have a small one story I keep as a rental house, may finally get some free time to work on it.
Anyway, it has re painted aluminum siding installed over just the black felt board. One side of the house had some hail damage or dings and had thought of replacing. Also this one side that gets the sun had an area that the nails were pulling out. Seems they only used 1” roof nails to attach.
So replace one side and paint the house or tear off and go with vinyl siding?
I have had quite a few Aluminum siding jobs that I painted and it does seems to hold paint 10 to 15 years. And normally don’t have to worry about the oil canning vinyl can sometimes get even when installed right. But small one story on a slab so not much more work with vinyl and I would use at least a .048 vinyl and don’t have to worry about painting or dents.
Thanks for the opinions.
In old days we use to say...When you like two girls and you cannot decide which one you want to be with, you find a third girl and be with her... So I would go with brick :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have worked alot with vinyl and if installed correctly and if you have a good product line there should not be any oil canning. I've worked with Certainteed, Mitten, and Vytec. Installed thousands of squares without oil canning and without using .048. In my area aluminum isn't stocked so I would be hit with freight fees and only full carton qty... In turn I would probably go with vinyl. But if you have vendors who stock the aluminum repalcing would probably be the cheaper route. But don't be so quick to dismiss vinyl.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I have yet to of heard anyone having vinyl being stripped off of a house for scrap.;)
I can sell my vinyl scraps for recycling here. Haven't had enough for a truckload yet, mostly just scraps with a little "old" soffit thrown in.....am about due to get rid of my pile of aluminum scraps though. Figures that the scrap prices would be down when I had a truckload.:laughing:

GirlInTrade....no way aluminum is going to be cheaper then vinyl no atter what the yard carries in stock

Rayh78....I've been using .044 with great results:thumbsup: 1" nails make for sore fingers at the end of the day:laughing: I use 1 1/2 aluminum siding nails when installing and make sure to hit the studs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have worked alot with vinyl and if installed correctly and if you have a good product line there should not be any oil canning. I've worked with Certainteed, Mitten, and Vytec. Installed thousands of squares without oil canning and without using .048. In my area aluminum isn't stocked so I would be hit with freight fees and only full carton qty... In turn I would probably go with vinyl. But if you have vendors who stock the aluminum repalcing would probably be the cheaper route. But don't be so quick to dismiss vinyl.

I can still get aluminum from my supplier.
But think I am changing my choices to vinyl or hardy plank.
I just think could be some long-term problems with vinyl over the blackboard, which offers not support.
Once I paint it I think the hardy will match pretty close. Then if problems with the other sides or if I ever get time to do things that don’t need to be done, I could do the other 3 sides.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One side of the house had some hail damage or dings and had thought of replacing.
-- PA woodbutcher -- The reason I thought it would be cheaper if he had a supplier who stocked the aluminum is I thought he would only replace one side if he went back with aluminum but if he went with vinyl he would replace the entire house. But thanks for assuming I didn't know aluminum was more expensive.;)

-- rayh78 -- Sounds like you are right on track. If installing over the blackboard then I would go with the hardie before vinyl, because you are right about support. Vinyl shows what it is laid on... if there are waves in the board their will be waves in the vinyl. Hardie is more rigid and would blend better with the aluminum if you are just doing the one wall.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ok I gotta ask. WHAT THE F:censored:CK IS OIL CANNING? :blink:

and I second(or third or whatever) the motion Hardi plank is the way to go. It can be a ***** to install if you and your helper don't notebook it right.(NOT that I would know ANYTHING about it snapping before it was installed:eek:) but with something like a 30 year gaurantee it holds up better than vinyl or aluminum.

Still have to paint but better IMHO.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
Ok I gotta ask. WHAT THE F:censored:CK IS OIL CANNING? :blink:
Ah, youth. :rolleyes::laughing:

'Way back before you were a gleam in yer daddy's eye, they used to make round oil cans with a long snout on them. The bottom of the can was slightly convex.

You would tip the can upside down, place the snout where the oil needed to go, and press on the center of the can's bottom to force the oil out while it made a pleasing "boinka-boinka" sound. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
-- PA woodbutcher -- The reason I thought it would be cheaper if he had a supplier who stocked the aluminum is I thought he would only replace one side if he went back with aluminum but if he went with vinyl he would replace the entire house. But thanks for assuming I didn't know aluminum was more expensive.;)

Sorry...context. Never thought about just replacing the one side myself. If he's talking hardi or replacing with vinyl, cost can't be an overriding factor. If you just replaced the one side, you would still have to paint as you would never come close to matching.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ah, youth.
'Way back before you were a gleam in yer daddy's eye, they used to make round oil cans with a long snout on them. The bottom of the can was slightly convex.

You would tip the can upside down, place the snout where the oil needed to go, and press on the center of the can's bottom to force the oil out while it made a pleasing "boinka-boinka" sound.
FLATERY WILL GET YOU EVERYWHERE! LOL:laughing:It's been a LONG time since I was referred to as youth!

My earliest memory of changing oil for/with my father was taking an oil can and punching it with a chrome spout and then pouring.(glug, glug was the sound I remember! ;)) I assume it's close to what you were describing.

What I should have done was CLARIFY my question to the statement "I have worked a lot with vinyl and if installed correctly and if you have a good product line there should not be any oil canning."

How is the term "oil canning" used in reference to vinyl siding?

I'm USUALLY good at translating reigional dialects.( I grew up in the midwest moved to No Fla worked in the Carolinas, So Fla etc.)
But this one stumps me!:blink:

Not sure if it's in reference to convexing,concaving or the sound it makes when the wind hits it or______.

Thanx for helping one of Jerry's Kids!:bangin:

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
My earliest memory of changing oil for/with my father was taking an oil can and punching it with a chrome spout and then pouring.(glug, glug was the sound I remember! ;)) I assume it's close to what you were describing.
If you're old enough to remember that, surely you've used one of these? :thumbsup:

How is the term "oil canning" used in reference to vinyl siding?
'round these parts, the term usually refers to a nominally flat surface that for whatever reason has become convex or concave. Just like the bottom of that can above.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Oil Can This!

The truth be told is if you have oil canning on aluminum siding this would mean you do not no how to install it. This means you pulled the siding up to tight when you nailed it.

Siding both aluminum or vinyl is made to hang so it can expand and contract.

Vinyl is the only way to go now because it can take the abuse of hail or snow and wind if installed properly. This will complete my lesson for the day!:eek:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If you're old enough to remember that, surely you've used one of these? :thumbsup:

'round these parts, the term usually refers to a nominally flat surface that for whatever reason has become convex or concave. Just like the bottom of that can above.
Oh ABSOLUTELY!:thumbup:(wait did I just "enthusiactly" admit to getting old!LOL) and your right "boinka-boinka" :laughing:. Still think those things can be usefull! Hadn't seen or thought about one for years THANX for the visual.

I get a kick out of collecting "older" tools etc. like the all metal circular saws.jigsaws etc.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,916 Posts
I get a kick out of collecting "older" tools etc. like the all metal circular saws.jigsaws etc.
Then keep an eye out for Neolitic. He's so old, he still uses 'em. :laughing:

I'm not much younger. I actually used the old pointed beer can openers to open beer cans. For my dad. :whistling

1 - 20 of 29 Posts