Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Joe The Handyman
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to double check my measurements for a storm door replacement and realized that the vinyl J channel was installed over the storm door flange.
Any suggestion on how to swap out this door?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Unzip the siding and remove the j channel.
Install new door.
Reinstall J and siding.
or
Box out for the storm door so the j doesn't cover the flange which will require cutting back each piece of siding. either way, siding is probably coming off to do this correctly.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Get a "Hooker" or 'Stripper' and unzip the siding, pull the J - do the storm door.... reinstall the J and zip it all back up

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Pretty much the only right way to do it. Why do people do things like that , don't they think the storm will ever need replacing.:rolleyes:

Beyond that, 10 bucks says, the J wall rolled on the flange anyway :blink:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
texas,, dont call it a hooker or rex will show up in this thread

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
Personally if I was doing this the siding would get pulled back , brick mold put on then channel and cut siding to fit right so would not ever have this problem again.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
You might be able to pop the channel back enough to get to the screws, but I doubt it. Either disassemble the siding or run a skilsaw around it and add new J (And lots of silicone - Hack job 101)
don't they think the storm will ever need replacing.:rolleyes:
NOPE! It ought to last as long as the siding. That's what the salesman told them :laughing:

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
You might be able to pop the channel back enough to get to the screws, but I doubt it. Either disassemble the siding or run a skilsaw around it and add new J (And lots of silicone - Hack job 101)

NOPE! It ought to last as long as the siding. That's what the salesman told them :laughing:
Or do you mean the siding should last as long as the door. :laughing:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I know the job is probably done already, but I had one like this a while back. I caught a break though and was able to leave the existing z-bar and hinges on the jamb. Weatherstrip looked good, no metal streaks on hinge and client was OK with doing it that OK .

Maybe not the best, but an option.

Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts