Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little help here please from the pros.

I just bought a house and the basement floor has 30 year old glue down flooring. The upstairs had it laid over 3/8 particle board. That was no big tore the underlayment up and replaced it. That damn basement is stuck down solid to the concrete. The room is only 10 x 10 so it's kind of tight quaters. What's the best way to get this stuff up. The floor scaper just isn't cutting it. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I just took one up Friday. The owner, whom I working for on this flip tried his 5" weighted floor scraper.....not too good.

I got out my Fein Multimaster I got a few weeks ago with the scraper blade. Like butta......I couldn't believe it, just like on TV.

You might want to try one of the new knock-off's as they're cheaper.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume you realize that is probably linoleum, full of asbestos.
I'm thinking not. Okay hoping not. The house was built in 1980.

But damn this stuff is down. Good glue for sure. The Multi Master sounds like an idea. A buddy of mine has one I can borrow. The power scraper might be to big to fit in the room. Could wind up being good old elbow grease and my demo wood chisel.

Thanks for all the input guys.:thumbsup:

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
Flooring with asbestos was sold into the mid to late 80's. Why not have it tested? It's not expensive.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Rusty,
Thanks for the info. Will have it checked on Tuesday by one of our Subs.

It's a small amount only 5' x 8' of actual flooring. I inhale enough stuff just cutting lumber I don't need to suck in anymore crap than I need to.

Rusty,
What's your best bet to get this stuff up?

You've gotta love that pattern :eek:

Attachments

·
Old school Ranger
222 Posts
scraping floor

Why are you removing it? What kind of floor are you going to install? I would just use an embossing leveler and skim coat the floor and put down my new floor.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The flooring breaks at the doorway with a fairly good step. The hallway used to be carpet and I want to carry the flooring into the hallway across into the laundry room. I don't want the step or slope at the jamb. Yes I could feather it out, but I'd preferr to remove it. I have to live here for the next 10 years so why not do it right the first time.

·
Tile Contractor
1,249 Posts
Torch it.

Heat those tiles and they will come right up with the help of a scraper.:)

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Google.
Took less than three minutes.
"In the meantime, asbestos is still an ingredient in nearly 3500 different products, including floor tile, linoleum and related adhesives."
What site?
I see now.....
"Asbestos was also used in the production of many commonly-used products in both the construction industry and the home. These include: roofing materials; siding; bricks; insulation, including sprayed insulation; vinyl flooring; drywall materials; cement panels; piping; fireproofing substances; talc-based products such as baby powder; wire insulation; emergency generators; fertilizers containing vermiculite; and certain textiles. Asbestos was also used in the production of many small appliances, such as toasters, coffee pots and hair dryers. Although rarer, people can also be exposed to asbestos in the natural environment because asbestos is a mineral."

A very large percentage of folks
conflate all sheetgoods
with linoleum.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts