Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new construction that I am getting ready to have the vinyl installed in both the kitchen and bathroom and wonder what the best choice for a floor prep would be? The flooring store suggested luan, but I was thinking more like Durock. What would you pro's suggest?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Phew,glad I got to you. No on the luan or the Durock for vinyl.

Luan is no longer waranteed by ANY floor manufacturor because of the oils inherent in the Mahogany that the wood is made with.

Durock is for tile.

You need a plywood product made specifically for underlayment purposes. Multiply or Tech Ply are great products. But any APA exterior grade plywood is ok as long as it can be installed so that its a smooth subfloor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike Costello said:
Phew,glad I got to you. No on the luan or the Durock for vinyl.

Luan is no longer waranteed by ANY floor manufacturor because of the oils inherent in the Mahogany that the wood is made with.

Durock is for tile.

You need a plywood product made specifically for underlayment purposes. Multiply or Tech Ply are great products. But any APA exterior grade plywood is ok as long as it can be installed so that its a smooth subfloor.
Thanks, Mike...I am new to the flooring side of the biz and am trying to learn all that I can. I assume staples would be the best way to apply the underlayment? If not, let me know! Thanks again!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Halex makes an awesome product. At least 75%(probably way more) of people will still use luaunn. I know stores buy it by the pallet load. No way on my jobs. The right product averages at $.25/sq.ft. more than Luaunn, why would anybody risk it?

You want to put those staples close enough together. Halex has x's showing the staple schedule i think the others have them too.

Good luck,
Don

·
Registered
455 Posts
I like the Halex too. Its alot like Multiply and comes in 5'x4' sheets'

A good rule for the staples is every 2 inches on the seams and every 4 inches in the field.

Nice tight seams ,patch if necesarry, then sand with a belt sander.

·
Orlando Car
1,636 Posts
Dough ,:wacko: next time you guys decise to post a video about a product make sure its done right. no removal of baseboard, big gaps in installation joints , no underjam cutting, jesus ! this guy butchered the installation. and ALL those procedures , might as well suggest a laminate floor in a kitchen than going thru ALL those steps and to have a floating floor. i dont think american gudelines on flooring will accept that, WE NEED TO HAVE A SOLID underlayment..

sorry BUT TO ME THIS PRODUCT IS A JOKE.. SEND ME A SAMPLE AND ILL TRY IT , BUT I WILL NEVER USE IT ON MY PROJECTS.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
You guys do realize this thread is 7 years old right?

·
building Contractor
235 Posts
Either way the tyroc video is a little hoky...why does everyone want to just continue adding layers to floors like its no big deal., By the time you put any thing on that surface the door is going to rub and there will be no airflow with the door closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts