Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is available for a base for installing Vintage Cobblestones in NC. They vary in depth by as much as an inch. In New England we have a ready and inexpensive supply of Blue Stone Dust.

What would you reccomend that is available and affordable? This is a drive way about 3000 Sq. Ft.

Thanks for your help

tonehill

·
Registered
278 Posts
New England has nothing on us. We also have Bluestone dust although we call it screenings or quarry fines. Actually I believe it is granite dust but we use it as bedding material typically as a 1" bed on top of ABC gravel. Any quarry or landscape supplier should have it. Where are you located?

Sounds like a pain to lay cobbles with so much variation. Not sure of the most efficient technique.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Except, I set my perimeter on end in 4" of hand mixed concrete. The big CT state plow trucks just bounce off of them. :thumbup:
We do the same only in about 12" of crete:tt2:

I had to remove a 20-liner foot portion of it once. Took me about 6 hours in a tracked cat. :sad:

As far as using the poly in the joints, I see no problem with it except for the cost. There is a product that resembles bluestone dust and accommodates joints larger than the typical paver allowances. We use it for dry laid bluestone.
http://www.gatordustbond.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts