Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a call from a customer who's gutter job I did a few months ago. All good with the job except one minor thing. We've had some higher than normal winds lately and apparently 2 out of the many downspouts on this particular job vibrate and make a pretty loud noise under those conditions.
I'm thinking of adding a couple more pipe clips as well as lining the inside of every clip with 2 sided tape, in hopes that this will absorb the vibration.
Anyone run into this or have suggestions for a cure? In hundreds of jobs this is a first.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Two customers (neighbors) both have "loud, shaky" down spouts during the rain. Went out to inspect one and sold the other one.

Tell me more about your elbow machine!

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Two customers (neighbors) both have "loud, shaky" down spouts during the rain. Went out to inspect one and sold the other one.

Tell me more about your elbow machine!
The elbow machine has been a good fit for me. Instead of having elbow/straight piece/elbow coming out of the gutter, I bend them as one sweeping piece. Eliminates a couple of seams and looks much cleaner.
Also nice for when there are offsets, like when coming down a post and around a deck or porch floor. I'm not limited to the 30 or 70 degree angles sold locally. I can use as few or as many crimps as I want to custom bend everything. I can switch mandrels and blades and do A or B bends, 2x3 or 3x4.
I think the price was $3300 when I started business just over 4 years ago. I can't imagine being without it now.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Isnt that a b to take apart for cleaning?

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll try some extra pipe clips and some stick on weather stripping on the inside of them. May also run a bead of Geocel around the downspout drop in and rescrew the downspout to it.

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Isnt that a b to take apart for cleaning?
Not really. A few bolts to remove the covers. Shop vac/rag/blow gun.
Its a Knudson EL 2002. Just out of curiosity - does anyone know what Liberty is getting for their MEL machines?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
CrescentGutter said:
Not really. A few bolts to remove the covers. Shop vac/rag/blow gun.
Its a Knudson EL 2002.
No i mean the downspouts. Most crap accumulates
Where the elbows join.

·
Gutter Hanger
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No i mean the downspouts. Most crap accumulates
Where the elbows join.
Not my issue most of the time. I don't generally offer gutter cleaning because there's no money in it compared to installs.
But when I've had to clean them I can pop the whole sweep off if needed. There are fewer fasteners in there to catch debris. If possible I get a hose and flush the downspout after scooping the heavy duty stuff into a bucket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts