Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I just finished a 10' x 10' free-standing gazebo with an 8:12 hip roof. We poured footings and used post bases for the 6x6 posts.
My boss had 12" angle brackets (with gussets) welded out of 1/4" plate steel which we attached with 3/8" lag screws (two brackets on each corner). We were going to hide these with arches on each side.
When I took off the temp bracing, I could rock the entire structure with almost no effort, so I put the temp bracing back on.
Any suggestions? All I can think to do is to have some very large (3' x 3'?) brackets made that attach to the side of the posts and beams rather than underneath, then hide them with 1x or 2x cedar.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I think we're going to need some pictures Steve but I think you need ten posts before you can post them. Make sure you post an introduction in the Introduction section. I'm sure you'll be able to post pics in no time.

A 12" bracket sounds a little wimpy.. With a 6x6 you should be able to get a pretty solid connection just from the framing with the right design. I use 6x6 posts for my deck supports and then put a 30" diagonal in to prevent racking.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm currently building a 14'x20' 9'tall with 8"x8" posts in CB 88's with a 4:12 pitch. It rocks. I find that most of the movement is in the brackets. Had my laborer put his hands on the footing and said it was firm but the bracket was flexing. Now for those 12" kiddy brackets. They ain't worth the Korean steel they were made from. Even with 40" knee braces going from post to beam I can get it to rock when up on top.

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
6,797 Posts
Your mistake was using those cheap post base, you need heavy duty bases made by a welder for structures like that, one that imbed into the concrete & have flanges goinng up the post for thru-bolts.

For an after the fact fix you could put a 12"-16" strip of heavy lattice (made with 1x2's) under the beam all around. I like this look better than corner braces. Handrails between the post work as well.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
58,491 Posts
It does sound like the post base. Like others had said, If you need a structural base you are gonna have to have it made. Or it was installed incorrectly

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
6,797 Posts
Thanks I was given a photo from the web and was told here build this. That's no joke very few dimensions. It's been interesting.
Those "can you build this" & they hand you a picture jobs are always fun. I once told a customer I can build anything if it's made out of wood. She hands me a photo from a magazine of a gazebo with a bell shaped roof, loads of fun on that one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its because you probably used a metal post base into the concrete, then attached the post to the metal base with bolts. Bad. It wobbles! You need to bury the post in a cement sono tube. It doesn't wobble this way. It will decay over time but it won't wobble!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts