Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've a local mill here, a pretty big one, that does white pine. http://wardlumber.com/facility.asp gives a look at their mill, which can handle logs up to 36 inches diameter.

They produce white pine T&G flooring, in quite wide random widths, for those that want the antique farmhouse look. I've seen it at up to 28".

Not exactly random, but made in 2-inch increments, so that you've a chance at end-matching when needed. Ends are plain cut, not "endmatched with T&G." and lengths are long.

What precautions should one take in using ultra-wide white pine flooring?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
The thing I worry most about White Pine is the shrinkage and warping and that wide, it may shrink 1/2". To help with that, I'm sure they make the boards thicker. At a minimum I'd be at 1" nominal if not more.

Lodgepole Pine would be a better choice, but I don't think they would be able to get it there.

My 2nd cousin who lives 1/2 mile from me has his own mill and can cut 36" logs 16' long. Some of the other guys around have a similar setup, but I think a more normal size is 30".

I would be looking at as much of the quarter sawn grain as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.