Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've a local mill here, a pretty big one, that does white pine. http://wardlumber.com/facility.asp gives a look at their mill, which can handle logs up to 36 inches diameter.

They produce white pine T&G flooring, in quite wide random widths, for those that want the antique farmhouse look. I've seen it at up to 28".

Not exactly random, but made in 2-inch increments, so that you've a chance at end-matching when needed. Ends are plain cut, not "endmatched with T&G." and lengths are long.

What precautions should one take in using ultra-wide white pine flooring?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Looks like they know what they are doing,plenty of pics of installed floors posted..specially face nailed 14" wide pine floors!!Why don't you ask their experience or for their installer recommendations?

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
The thing I worry most about White Pine is the shrinkage and warping and that wide, it may shrink 1/2". To help with that, I'm sure they make the boards thicker. At a minimum I'd be at 1" nominal if not more.

Lodgepole Pine would be a better choice, but I don't think they would be able to get it there.

My 2nd cousin who lives 1/2 mile from me has his own mill and can cut 36" logs 16' long. Some of the other guys around have a similar setup, but I think a more normal size is 30".

I would be looking at as much of the quarter sawn grain as possible.

·
Old school Ranger
222 Posts
Nobody has mentioned screws and pegs. That is the way I was taught and it makes a great looking floor and you can charge good money for the specialty. You can generally cut your plugs out of the waste.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts