Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a customer who would like to have the concrete on his garage base extended about 2 in. There is currently a the trim for the garage door there that rats chew threw and he would like to just have the wood removed and the wall extended (just at the bottom of the door on both sides. It is basically a non load bearing piece of facade about 6" tall X 2" deep X 4"wide. I do not want it to come apart in a few years. Should I tie it in with pins, or use some bonding adhesive or is it so small that it will eventually have a problem no matter what. :blink:

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow, that IS small.....if you drill for a couple of rebar pins, maybe using a 1/2" bit in a rotary hammer or hammer drill, blew out the dust, used an epoxy to tie in some 3/8" rebar, you could make a small form-pour your new crete, and you'd be good for however long you want.

You could also brush on some bonding agent if you like, but with secured pins you're gonna have to have some mighty big rats to mess with that.......

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
That concrete I would say will constantly need future repair as it will keep cracking and falling out.

Can you bolt a small piece of angle iron in there?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I would walk away.Or get a bonding agent to prime the old concrete and fill.Seems like a call back to me eventually.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would rough up the area with a grinder. Then veneer the spot with a 2" cmu. Sticking the block right to the concrete with thinset. It will probably outlast any concrete pour. And can be replaced easier in the future.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would rough up the area with a grinder. Then veneer the spot with a 2" cmu. Sticking the block right to the concrete with thinset. It will probably outlast any concrete pour. And can be replaced easier in the future.
Of course, coming from a brickie:laughing:

But I think I agree. Concrete is never really going to do well that thin. You might get away with regular old sack crete and add some more cement powder to it, make it like a 7 or 8 K pea gravel grout, and instead of rebar, take a 3/16ths SDS and some 16d dup's and make the existing look like a porky pine hit it.
But it's just not going to last.

Another thought is a piece of 2x8 channel iron.

·
Super Moderator
24,739 Posts
Of course, coming from a brickie:laughing:

But I think I agree. Concrete is never really going to do well that thin. You might get away with regular old sack crete and add some more cement powder to it, make it like a 7 or 8 K pea gravel grout, and instead of rebar, take a 3/16ths SDS and some 16d dup's and make the existing look like a porky pine hit it.
But it's just not going to last.

Another thought is a piece of 2x8 channel iron.
Better yet, go to a fab shop and get a piece of rect. aluminum tube, box the ends and bolt it in place....:thumbsup: No rust worries....

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
I have a customer who would like to have the concrete on his garage base extended about 2 in. There is currently a the trim for the garage door there that rats chew threw and he would like to just have the wood removed and the wall extended (just at the bottom of the door on both sides. It is basically a non load bearing piece of facade about 6" tall X 2" deep X 4"wide. I do not want it to come apart in a few years. Should I tie it in with pins, or use some bonding adhesive or is it so small that it will eventually have a problem no matter what. :blink:

Thanks for your help
use one of the grouts from mapei,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts