Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Credit Angus for finding it.

For those of you working on old homes, you might be able to access an aerial view back to the 1930's free of charge.

http://www.historicaerials.com/

It's sort of like google earth where you can go back in time a little (like the 80's) but in my area you can go back to the 30's and see pretty darn good aerials of everything.

I've been addicted for about a week checking every address I can think of to see the houses go back to farmland.

Hints
The "overlay" tab will show you where roads are, or in the case of an older photo, where they are now. If you change sites, turn the overlay back off and turn it back on when you get to your new search area.
In the "compare" tab, you can use the "slide" feature with a certain year on one side, and another on the other side to slide over the location and see the differences.

You can check for old creeks, houses that used to sit on a property, etc.

I don't know how far it goes back in more rural areas, but check it out.

My question is how they took those shots 70 years ago:eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
That is pretty cool. Ours goes back to 1952 apparently. My current neighborhood was just woods. My first home shows half the neighborhood didn't exist yet.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Just goes to show how long they've been photographing without our knowledge!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Great site, thanks for sharing..... Humboldt State U. has a vast collection of aerial photographs from all sorts of different sources, Canada going back to the '20s even.....

These were done much like today, planes flying grids.....mostly for US Geological Survey, Bureau of Land Management, Soil Conservation service......

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
great site, thanks. Amazing to see how much has changed through the years. Surprisingly my own property went as far back as 1947. I find it funny too how the tree huggers and the State are buying up as much private land as possible because this is a Park, but they fail to realize this "park" is an industrial park and always has been. This map shows all the properties that were once farm lands and have now been let go to grow back to woods. We are not talking about a few hundred acres here and there but more like Towns with thousands of acres of fields. And these folks think we are harming mother earth buy cutting some tree's LOL!!! Just how did they cut the tree's, removed the stumps and stack the rocks into walls??? Back breaking labor when men were men and slashing the lands was considered a good thing for mother earth!

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
It's definitely cool.

We have this on our city tax assessment site for some reason. It goes back to 1941. It's incredibly interesting.

Tons of farm field until 1970s

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,036 Posts
Great site, thanks for sharing..... Humboldt State U. has a vast collection of aerial photographs from all sorts of different sources, Canada going back to the '20s even.....

These were done much like today, planes flying grids.....mostly for US Geological Survey, Bureau of Land Management, Soil Conservation service......
Did you go to HSU??

That's in my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts