Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a customer that we are doing some work in the attic for and I noticed yesterday that the plumbing is vented up into the attic (phew) and not thru the roof. There are 3 vents in one area and 2 in another. I see situations around like this sometimes.
I don't have a plumber to ask for an honest opinion right now so I'm asking you guys what should I do? Is this an issue that must be dealt with and if so how? Can you use those "ventless" vents for this (not go thru roof)?
They have a roof only 2 years old.
Thanks, :notworthy
Dave

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I have a customer that we are doing some work in the attic for and I noticed yesterday that the plumbing is vented up into the attic (phew) and not thru the roof. There are 3 vents in one area and 2 in another. I see situations around like this sometimes.
I don't have a plumber to ask for an honest opinion right now so I'm asking you guys what should I do? Is this an issue that must be dealt with and if so how? Can you use those "ventless" vents for this (not go thru roof)?
They have a roof only 2 years old.
Thanks, :notworthy
Dave
AAV's have to be readily accessible, not sure if the AHJ will consider them accessible while in the attic.

Call a licensed plumber to fix the problem.

Yes the problem needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Actually I'd call a GC that knows what he's doing. We're geniuses you know. Seriously though...I can't think of any application where in a DW vent may be terminated in an attic space. A plumber would probably know the answer to the vent issue but would he know or care about other associated retrofit issues. Sounds like it's a case of the plumbing not being finished. Are there really some states that allow vent terminations in an attic????

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure that the national codes require venting through the roof, the code issue was not really my question but thanks all for your replies. No code person is probably ever going to see the vents in these folks attic. Just looking for general feedback for the circumstances, I know that venting through the roof would be the best but since the roof is by definition new I'm not sure I will even bring it to the attention of the owner.
Dave

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
I'm sure that the national codes require venting through the roof, the code issue was not really my question but thanks all for your replies. No code person is probably ever going to see the vents in these folks attic. Just looking for general feedback for the circumstances, I know that venting through the roof would be the best but since the roof is by definition new I'm not sure I will even bring it to the attention of the owner.
Dave
You are doing a disservice to your customer not to make them aware of a situation that is allowing flammable methane gas to escape in their home, not to mention the airborne bacteria that is being released, I highly doubt they want Legionaries Disease for Christmas.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have no idea what your codes are but it's not a bad thing for them to just have AAV's throughout. It's been done this way in many country's for years and saves having multiple vents passed through roofs. It's always good to try and have at least one vent to atmosphere though, normally at end of run but it's not uncommon not to see any.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Dave
Dave,

You keep making a big deal out of it being a new roof, it is not that big of a deal to run the vent's through the roof.

Just because an inspector won't catch it, does not mean it shouldn't be done the right way.

You need to tell the owner the problem, if they decide not to do anything about it, that is their choice.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
bwalley, I know, I've done it before (gone thru a new roof) for other reasons but it's not just the roof it's tromping all thru the insulation and I just want to justify in my mind having the homeowner worry about it and is it worth them dealing with the consequenses and monies to get it done under the circumstances. Total picture you know? Thanks

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Definitely tell the home owner. Those vents go through the roof for a reason and I'm sure its not to keep the stink outside.
I would want someone to tell me if they saw something that wasn't what it should be.
If they decide to leave it as is, at least you can sleep at night.

·
The Grand Wazoo
3,973 Posts
It's been that way 26 years. The attic is well vented.

All it takes a bizarre weather pressure zone to force that sewer gas down into the house, where it can easily pose a health issue, especially with infants and the elderly, but if you can ignore that and leave the homeowner unadvised then you treat your customers a lot worse than I would ever treat mine.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
bwalley, I know, I've done it before (gone thru a new roof) for other reasons but it's not just the roof it's tromping all thru the insulation and I just want to justify in my mind having the homeowner worry about it and is it worth them dealing with the consequenses and monies to get it done under the circumstances. Total picture you know? Thanks
It isn't up to you to justify it in your mind, it is vented improperly and is a health safety issue.

The fact that you don't want to let them know what you discovered is disturbing.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
In cold weather, you can also add extra moisture to the attic area that could condense on the underside of the roof and cause moisture and possibly mold. Especially possible if a front comes through, changes the pressures and temperatures. Any changes in the plumbing system cold also change things.

The owner deserves to know and it gets you off the hook for liability since you informed him.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts