Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yestarday got a call from our housing office about some soffit that the wind ripped of the side of one of our housing units. I went out to check it out because our home inspector is currently on leave. Turns out the contractor stapled a 1x2 furring strip to the rafters and then stapled the soffit to the furring strip. Well the staples only penetrated about 1/2" so when we got a good gust of wind which we do all the time. It ripped the vented soffit, wrap, and furring strips, down. Has anyone seens this before. its a first for me and i have done a good bit of siding work.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Yestarday got a call from our housing office about some soffit that the wind ripped of the side of one of our housing units. I went out to check it out because our home inspector is currently on leave. Turns out the contractor stapled a 1x2 furring strip to the rafters and then stapled the soffit to the furring strip. Well the staples only penetrated about 1/2" so when we got a good gust of wind which we do all the time. It ripped the vented soffit, wrap, and furring strips, down. Has anyone seens this before. its a first for me and i have done a good bit of siding work.
Just sounds like not enough penetration
on the fasteners.

·
it is what it is
113 Posts
To me sounds like the installer was lazy and instead of grabbing a different gun to nail on the furing strip, used what they had in there hand.

Fix it right and plan on going back when the otherside lets loose, then fix that side right.

Also make sure you tell your installer you found his short cut, and to change his ways if he still wants to do work for you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
I have seen this but only on large panels. As EdwardBros stated, just seems like the guy did not want to grab a different gun. Also, how do you staple it? Is there a staple in every rib located on the outside or just one into a panel?

I admit the first time I did soffit, I figured they were light enough and only needed one. A few weeks later I had to go back and since then I make sure that sucker is stapled up there.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts

Only seen that on large soffit panels, porch ceilings.
If the staples had been long enough into the rafterw or trusses, it probable would not have occurred.

Or did you have straight line tornado winds??:eek:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Something tells me that it
will be a bit more complicated than
one phone call since the customer
is the USAF. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You say USAF, Was a big El Paso Co. involved with construction of the homes ?

The subs they had here used 3/8 staples on soffits and 2" nails for siding over 1 1/2 inch foam. They didnt use 1x2s here just tried to hit studs (failed alot)
Everytime a wind blows I get calls

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I repaired some soffit a month or so ago that was fastened with T-50 staples:rolleyes: You never know how cheap or stupid someone is going to be by the size of the company.

Red Adobe....kinda provides for a steady income doesn't it? When you find places like that it an instant love hate relationship with someone you don't even know.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Yes love the $$$, I use an older unmarked truck for jobs like that, so no one sees my real CO truck and asociates me with doing the original job

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
even though the house is out of warenty we are going to have the contractor come out and fix it due to sub par construction. we are also going to check the rest of the houses in the neighborhood and if they are the same have them fix those as well. should be interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts