Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

vent/ drain question

6K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Itrimit 
#1 ·
Some one has asked before i'm sure. Question I have a single sink in a bathroom now and want to remodel and add a double sink for the kids. It has a two inch vent that takes care of the toilet and the sink. the 1-1/2 for the sink drain, tees into the 2" vent. I believe this is called wet venting. My question is will the 1-1/2 allow for the two sink vanity? and will i be under sized on the 2" vent by upgrading to three fixtures.

#3 ·
I did a bath adding an extra sink bowl and the plumber never added an additional vent-it was a full bath. 2nd best customer I have, never had a complaint. Im not a plumber,have all the faith in the world in his competence, never had a problem with his work in 7 years...

#7 ·
Coupe,

Now THAT is a useful post. Why is Ron or myself here. Look at the top of the page in the address bar. Whats it say up there?

Yup, you guessed it. CONTRACTORTALK .

It does not say diychatroom.

Why don't we try not to act so e-tough and go call a plumber.
You need a licensed plumber to have a look and if nothing else consult with you for a fee on what you can and can't do. Thanks for being nice.

If I were a mod here, you would be perma-banned

Love,
ILPlumber

#9 ·
vent/drain

FYI already talked with three different proffesional plumbers and recieved three totaly different answers. Posted the same basic question on here to see who was the right guy for the job. Only to get call a plumber I don't know what I am doing. Never said I was plumbing it myself I do what I do and call those who are supposed to know what they do when it isn't in my line of work. So Ban me If you can not answer a question with out popping off as to wether I know what I am doing.

#18 ·
OK you want an answer you got it, yes it will work, wait, no it won't, but is it code where he is at. Geez, come on people, how can one ask a question on here and expect to get the right answer when location, code used, and other facts are not provided.

Not all codes are the same.

Lets get real ok.
Which code would not allow 2 vanities and 1 toilet on a 2" vent?

#25 ·
vent/drain

Lets see you have argued two of the three senarios i was given by three diff licensed plumbers. And still no good answers. If any one would have asked what my local plumbers had to say, I could tell you that plumber#1 says its fine he will just rework the 1-1/2 inch to accomidate the double vanity its still in safe venting distance.plumber #2 says it needs to turn back up after the second sink and he will go up in the attic and tie the 1-1/2 back into the 2' vent. plumber#3 NO_NO_NO take out the 2" up size it to 3" with a 3x3x1-1/2 santee I think is what he said and then it will work. I sub PLUMBING it's not in my field. I do trim and finish. I shouldn't have to know all the codes if i'm not getting paid to do it. Oh and the inspectors thought was it looks like plumbing to me. My estimates ranged from $150 in and out in a couple of hours to $1000 its going to be all day just to be able to put in a double vanity. 150 to 1000> red flag as to who of the three is right and who is gouging. post a question, Get CALL A PLUMBER DIYER. And its the same senario. To think why I everyone hates to call in a plumber. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
Lets see you have argued two of the three senarios i was given by three diff licensed plumbers. And still no good answers. If any one would have asked what my local plumbers had to say, I could tell you that plumber#1 says its fine he will just rework the 1-1/2 inch to accomidate the double vanity its still in safe venting distance.plumber #2 says it needs to turn back up after the second sink and he will go up in the attic and tie the 1-1/2 back into the 2' vent. plumber#3 NO_NO_NO take out the 2" up size it to 3" with a 3x3x1-1/2 santee I think is what he said and then it will work. I sub PLUMBING it's not in my field. I do trim and finish. I shouldn't have to know all the codes if i'm not getting paid to do it. Oh and the inspectors thought was it looks like plumbing to me. My estimates ranged from $150 in and out in a couple of hours to $1000 its going to be all day just to be able to put in a double vanity. 150 to 1000> red flag as to who of the three is right and who is gouging. post a question, Get CALL A PLUMBER DIYER. And its the same senario. To think why I everyone hates to call in a plumber. :rolleyes:
What State are you in?

Why should we help you if you can't help us?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.