Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Over the weekend I tried my hand at doing some Venetian Plaster I had three gallons so I told the ole' lady I was going to change the Living room wall from a white texture wall to something more green that's the color she wanted, well I started out using all three colors but I ended up changing it to all green and she added the black, well here's what we ended up with!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Dude! It dried down ok but your application is way too linear!!! Think small circular based strokes when you apply.Push wet material out to the dry areas and start in one corner and work out to form a random visually appealing shape. This will help with cold joints when your doing a bigger surface.

You could also try applying one color first and waiting for it to leather up and hit wet on wet with your second color.

Who's product did you use?

Plaster is fun, its as close as i can get to playing with concrete on a wall!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Duburban,
Ok I will try that the ole' Lady wants to change the color she wants me to do it all in Black now, So I will try what you said with smaller areas.
The product was from Lowes I got the stuff for my house but since we don't have the house anymore I figured I would use it here before the stuff dried up in the can.
Thanks for the imput:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Duburban,
Ok I will try that the ole' Lady wants to change the color she wants me to do it all in Black now, So I will try what you said with smaller areas.
The product was from Lowes I got the stuff for my house but since we don't have the house anymore I figured I would use it here before the stuff dried up in the can.
Thanks for the imput:thumbsup:
What you came up with looks really cool though. I do this with my sister from NYC when she has big jobs. I'm not a pro really but have slung a lot of it on some walls. The product she uses is this:

http://www.venetianplasterstore.com/index.html

Its expensive but they give her a deal after she got them into an entire macy's building in nyc.

I don't know whats in your product but theres really a special feel to using something with real lime in the mix.

I'm about to do a project with american clay to try it out but I know it won't dry as hard or burnish as tight than lime based plasters. I'll post up photos when its done.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The product I have from Lowes is a acrylic base when you apply this stuff you can skim a wall in no time at all, I applied it then let it sit over night then I took my 6" trowel and just burnished as fast as I could, so now I have applied black over the green and we are going to work small sections and rub it out, I like the High Gloss look, But I wanted it to be a darker green, but we will see how it comes out with the black. I want to ad the gold color we have but she don't like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.