Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my fireplace and was wondering if I can put the veneer stone right to the cement board. The cement board has two sides...smooth and rough. I put the smooth side towards the wall and left the rough side faced out. I was planning on putting the veneer stone on that, but some other masons told me to put the wire mesh up with a scratch coat. Is this really needed for an inside fireplace?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I would say the mesh and the scratch coat are a waste of time and money. I would adhere the stones with thinset and be done with it. On an inside installation that is the only way I have done it. The thinset will out preform mortar mix when it comes to adhesion and that is the most important thing with cultured stone.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm with TSC.Throw in a little glue or get fortified thinset for a little added insurance.
I am very glad you noticed the rough side. Some of them idiots out there the crap they leave us to work with...:notworthy

·
Registered
6 Posts
We use thinset as a base coat over cement board. Trowel it on with a thick notch trowel and install stone with regular mortar after the thinset dries. I've even used this same technique on painted concrete block and it works great. Use a good thinset and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
686 Posts
No mesh, thinset....I'm with that....the thinset as a basecoat?:confused1:that seems to add a step that is not needed.....Maybe attaching to painted block, but in that case, I would mesh....whatever you have success with....

·
Registered
9 Posts
We use thinset as a base coat over cement board. Trowel it on with a thick notch trowel and install stone with regular mortar after the thinset dries. I've even used this same technique on painted concrete block and it works great. Use a good thinset and you won't have any problems.
You did this for an exterior? but why the regular mortar, why not just the thinset itself? what thinset did you use?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would say the mesh and the scratch coat are a waste of time and money. I would adhere the stones with thinset and be done with it. On an inside installation that is the only way I have done it. The thinset will out preform mortar mix when it comes to adhesion and that is the most important thing with cultured stone.
how about outside/exterior? is there thinset that can withstand exterior climate?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm starting soon a natural stone Slab vaneer job. over wood framed & durarock covered. for a fireplace insert. Natural blue stone slabs. one inch thick biggest piece is 6ft x20" planned on useing thinset for heavy tile along with brick ties attached to stone.
I'm starting a Slab vaneer indoor fireplace. It's wood framed then durarock covered. for a fireplace insert. It's Natural thermaled blue stone slabs. one inch thick. biggest piece is 67"x17" I planned on useing thinset for heavy tile along with brick ties attached to stone. Any suggestions will help. Like if I should scratch coat & lath also etc. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts