Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

vehicle organazation

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  GitSum 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

How do you Guys stay organized with the interior of your vehicles while on a jobsite, where you have so much paperwork?

#6 ·
Seriously, I just got a new truck and I'm on a quest to not let it get to be a disaster.

My van looks like a family of gypsies lives in the cab and my Wrangler is so small, three M&Ms fill it up.

My new truck has an extended cab and a bench seat. I was looking ALL over the web for something that will really work well to no avail.

I have one of those Duluth front seat office do-hickies in my van, but it's not that great. It doesn't open up too well when the the lid is full. As a result, it's a paperweight on the floor of the van between the front seats.

Aside from paper, I have samples, tape measures, various electronic devices, etc...

By the way, I just installed a Sony MEX-BT3700 in the truck which has built-in blue tooth and it's AWESOME. No more stupid headset. The voice quality is great (external mic on the visor), has voice dialing, and has total integration into the vehicle (ie, the radio automatically turns off when the phone is in use).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BT3700/Sony-MEX-BT3700.html?search=sony+bt

Considering a good BT headset is over $100, this stereo/head unit is a steal at $179 considering it also has 100% iPod control.

#8 ·
Actually, I just went over to Duluth and they have two new items that look pretty good.

I found them elsewhere online cheaper, which also led me to find entire websites dedicated to mobile office organization. There's A LOT of stuff out there!

#9 ·
What is most of the paper? Receipts/invoices?With lap-tops and all, there really isn't a need to keep all of those receipts. Sure there are a few paper items that need to be kept, but those pesky invoices should be trashed. A lot of suppliers now will e-mail you invoices, also, with MS Excel, you can setup a filing system with the invoice # & amount. That will make it possible to simply trash the paper.

I know, I am fighting papers all the time (I don't know if I am winning). If you pay with checks, document the invoice number memo section. Heck, write a short story on the check to help with your memory. But all those papers have got to stop.

I know exactly how you feel. It's hard enough just keeping the tools & hardware in order.

#12 ·
Since I am usually bringing my laptop with me to whatever job I am going to I have plenty of space for paperwork for several jobs. The main job goes in with the computer, the secondary jobs go in the outside pouches. All of my jobs are in yellow 9x12 manila envelopes. I put the receipts in a standard envelope inside the manila envelope. After the job is completed it gets stored in my file cabinet in the office.

Originally the receipts for the job go in the center console, then pulled into the office and placed in my in-box. After they are recorded they go into the regular envelope in the manila envelope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.