Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I heard this mentioned on some am station talk show. They didn't get too much into it, it was more of an aside to the basic tree-hugery that was on-topic. Anybody heard of this? Is it roofing or landscaping?

I found this on google
Looks pretty interesting.

Any thoughts?
\Don

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I saw a show on it years ago, basically a sod roofed house with plants growing on it. A few feet of dirt has a pretty good R value. Might not be appreciated in a gated community.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you can convince them that it's a great place to drive golf balls from.

Don

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Green roofing AKA Garden roofing is very popular. Mary Daley (mayor of Chicago) gives tax breaks if you choose to install a garden roof system.

Garden roofing is becoming more and more common and I have done two in my life. I have put alot of research into these systems and some time soon I will get my website www.chicagogreenroofs.com up and running. I want to get at least one more under my belt before I start to mass market the green roof system.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've done 3 in Salt Lake City. 1 was large and has 40' trees growing on it. They used blocks of EPS to build some of the "hills" and covered w/soil. Evidently, the roots just grow right through the foam??? There are BBQ's, sidewalks, benches, tables, planters, etc all over. Used Bituthene and drainage mat. Had trouble with the electrical contr making leaks. Another basically was PRMA system w/DOW Liteguard insulated pavers....mostly covered in dirt??? Never understood why the covered those expensive pavers with dirt and the gardens.
Jim

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
When you re-roof it's diner for the family.

Set your leach field on it and you'll have a lot of $hit hanging over your head.

"Nice weekend to mow the roof"

Your friends will call you goufer boy.

Bob

·
Registered
174 Posts
In some cities (Salt Lake City), the planning depts are giving development "points" to "cool roofs" or negitive points to "hot" roofs. The new cool roof law in Calif is a good example. Most qualify by using white colored roofing materials, but the garden roofs are increasing.

All of mine were on concrete framed buildings, not steel framing. The foam was used on the one job to reduce weight loads. Areas of deep dirt and heavy items (concrete benches, etc) were located over columns underneath. Had great slope to drain at the membrane level, almost no ponding when we flood tested it. One job used gravel and fabric instead of drainage composite. I was nervous about that, but so far, so good (It's been almost 10 years now). The penetrations (and other trades) are the problem......poorly thought-out ones and way too many! I switched to pure steep roofing about 8 years ago, so don't do this kind of work anymore.
Jim

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
J, I assume these were all new construction?

I plan to do retro's. Originally most of the Chicago 2 flats were engineered to withstand 650lbs of gravel for a "tar and gravel" type roof. Remove all that gravel, and throw on a light weight Firestone EPDM roof system and then you are left to play with 600+ lbs for soil and vegatation.

Firestone has even come up with their own spec for a warrantable garden roof system.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Right, they were all new construction. All used waterproofing systems with PRMA Warranties. 2 were Grace Bituthene and one was hot rubber (reinforced). I think you are on to something with the re-dos.
Jim

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I read a book about nature friendly archetecture in college. I didn't agree with the need for sub terain houseing............. unless you left enough yard to bury your ex-wife.:Thumbs:

Bob

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
When I build my ideal "dream home", I will have a partially sub terranian portion of my house.

Just think, basement larger than the house. At the rear of the house, usually sits the kitchen. Now think that at the kitchen, instead of a wood deck, there is a "garden roof" so you walk right out to the grass, but you are still a good 3' above the ground level with parapet walls all around you.

Underneath the garden roof, in the basement, you have an extra room. Perhaps a play room for children or a home theater.

I've also dabbled with the same idea for a walk out balcony for the master suite. That would be sweet, having a 10' x 10' balcony with grass and flowers connected directly to your bed room. Talk about relaxing!

·
Registered
156 Posts
What a coincidence. Never heard of a green roof. Today i recieved a call from a commercial builder and he wants a roof done 700 sq and it is being done for the city he says we need to install some green roof. any specs i can get from any of you. this i believe is supposed to be made by Firestone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
well I meet with this guy Tommorrow. It is new construction supposedly all spec'd out. I will get plans and spec's from him. I am kinda leary about this type of roofing system mainly because i have never done one. 700 sq is a big roof and that is over twice the size of any flat i have ever done. I am thinking there must be more than one building. Only a portion of the roof is going to be the green roof. The contractor could not even tell me what kind of roofing it was spec'd at other than Firestone. I am familiar with TPO - PVC And more so with EPDM. I would tend to think TPO would be better.

I did print out Firestone Spec's from their site Thanks!!

I have three guys experienced with TPO PVC and Epdm Including myself. Laboreers are pretty easy to come by in minnesota.

Normally I would refer this out but as slow as it is i may give it a shot. Anyone interested in making a few bucks? I could use a couple more experienced guys

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
How many Hawiian shirts do you have to wear to stay warm?

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Roofs made out of grass? Bunch of sod busters you guys are! Next thing I know you all are going to be running around in sandles and chaining yourself to trees. What are you guys running out of old growth asphalt out there?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, I thought that you were in the center of tree hugging technology.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts