Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the following testers. Any opinions or advice on the differences, shortcomings, benefits, etc? Any other models I should consider?
Thanks

Klein VDV Scout Pro Kit - $79.95
Ideal VDV PRO Cable Tester - $329
Greenlee NETcat Micro NC-100 - $74.99

·
Super Moderator
24,333 Posts
This is highly specialized equipment.
Why do you as a GC want them?

The guys who use this stuff want a durable tester that produces reliable & consistent results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is highly specialized equipment.
Why do you as a GC want them?

The guys who use this stuff want a durable tester that produces reliable & consistent results.
The short version is: I am tired of paying highly specialized fees to trace mislabeled, unmarked, or existing cat5/phone/RG-6 lines.

I will not use the tester on a daily basis and I do not need the ability to certify installations, but I do want an accurate and reliable piece of equipment that will last several years. Preferably one with the ability to identify multiple ports simultaneously so I dont have to run all over the house.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
I am considering the following testers. Any opinions or advice on the differences, shortcomings, benefits, etc? Any other models I should consider?
Thanks

I think if I were looking to buy one at this time, I would probably go with the Ideal VDV tester you listed.
I’ve had a Test-Um LanScaper NT750 for several years. It is primarily a network tester for twisted pair, but has adapters that can be used with coax and is similar in function and price to the Ideal VDV tester you posted.
If you are interested in the details for comparison, I purchased the complete NT750 kit with the extra remotes, cable assemblies and adapters so it can identify up to 8 cables or ports at once. It has some useful features in addition to identifying network wiring configuration and TDR cable length measurement. You can measure network speed if you purchase an additional separate LanScaper unit.

Here is a link to it. There is also a link to the manual on the page.
http://www.tequipment.net/TestUmNT750.asp?Source=Google

BTW, I believe Klein meters are made by UEI, so don't know if that affects your opinion of them.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Allllllllll of em are over priced.

All 3 feel junks and when you pick it up you think "I paid what for this?" The Klien is probably the worst because its new on the market and feels like something from the 80's.

Do you want to test your connections or just trace the wire or both?

If you want to trace wires get a toner with an inductive amplifier. Then get a cheap connection tester for your data jacks....you pay quite a bit more for one that does multiple jacks and I find I almost never use the multiple jack feature.

Test-Um makes everything you need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think if I were looking to buy one at this time, I would probably go with the Ideal VDV tester you listed.
I’ve had a Test-Um LanScaper NT750 for several years. It is primarily a network tester for twisted pair, but has adapters that can be used with coax and is similar in function and price to the Ideal VDV tester you posted.
If you are interested in the details for comparison, I purchased the complete NT750 kit with the extra remotes, cable assemblies and adapters so it can identify up to 8 cables or ports at once. It has some useful features in addition to identifying network wiring configuration and TDR cable length measurement. You can measure network speed if you purchase an additional separate LanScaper unit.

BTW, I believe Klein meters are made by UEI, so don't know if that affects your opinion of them.
Similar to this, I have used the Ideal LinkMaster Pro Large Kit, it allows you to trace 8 UTP/Coax, check pairs, measure length, etc.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Do you guys find you bust out your kits that often? Mine sleeps at home or in the truck most of the time.

If I have to certify the runs I use a sweeper (borrowed), if I have to trace a few unlabeled ones out that I didn't run I use a toner and wand. I probably use my toner as much as I use a pair of *****, I keep 2 in my main tool bag at all times.

It didn't turn out to be the time saver I hoped it was, you run around and plug in the identifiers to every jack, then plug and unplug a million times at the panel...and try to remember what id's you plugged in where.

·
Banned
2,622 Posts
Count the features of each that you will reasonably use in the future. They should be in the same approximate ratio: 1:4:1

Also, short battery life is a hidden cost of ownership.

Even better, find 10 testers and plot the # of features vs. price. You will quickly see what is a bad buy, a good buy, and who is trying to steal market share from whom. It'll take you an hour using Nextag and Excel.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I keep 2 of theses TG100s on me at all times:

http://www.jdsu.com/en-us/Test-and-Measurement/Products/a-z-product-list/Pages/tone-generator.aspx

Its cheap so you don't cry too much when you loose it of have it smashed into bits. Get it in a kit with the inductive amp wand.

http://www.jdsu.com/en-us/Test-and-Measurement/Products/a-z-product-list/Pages/tone-tracer.aspx

You can spend a little more on a resi-toner tg400, its has a few more options but I don't think its that much better. You don't need the phone line power up or the speaker popper when you can just run a tone over the lines instead.

If you want to get a be-all-end-all-do-all get the tri-porter:

http://www.jdsu.com/en-us/Test-and-Measurement/Products/a-z-product-list/Pages/tri-porter.aspx

It does everything and acts as the poor mans sweeper to boot....but it runs around 800 bucks.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Even better, find 10 testers and plot the # of features vs. price. You will quickly see what is a bad buy, a good buy, and who is trying to steal market share from whom. It'll take you an hour using Nextag and Excel.
yeah or just buy on features vs. price.....thats always the best way. :no:

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
I know nothing about UEI. Is that a good thing that they make klein? or do they only make junk?
Just like anything else, some really like their meters and others think they are junk.
UEI has been around a long time and their meters generally seem to have a lot of features for the price, but are more popular with individuals that work in fields like HVAC, where electrical is still integral, but more of a secondary element to their trade.
Electricians and electronics techs whose primary job function is electrical generally seem to gravitate to the more well known, higher end name brand meters like Fluke, AEMC, Amprobe, etc.
With a lot of the manufacturing taking place overseas these days, the debate now seems to be whether these premium brands are still worth the premium price.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
Any toner recommendations?
I think most of them have a built in tone generator, so you would just need an inductive pickup.
Some of the kits like the LanScaper NT750 and the Ideal LinkMaster Pro XL mentioned come with one, so they are complete in that respect.

·
Carbon Dioxide Producer
782 Posts
Do you guys find you bust out your kits that often? Mine sleeps at home or in the truck most of the time.

If I have to certify the runs I use a sweeper (borrowed), if I have to trace a few unlabeled ones out that I didn't run I use a toner and wand. I probably use my toner as much as I use a pair of *****, I keep 2 in my main tool bag at all times.

It didn't turn out to be the time saver I hoped it was, you run around and plug in the identifiers to every jack, then plug and unplug a million times at the panel...and try to remember what id's you plugged in where.
Nope. At one time, I did a lot of office network and telecom wiring, so it got used pretty regularly, but nowadays, it is just gathering a thick layer of dust. I think the last time I really needed it was over two years ago for a wired home office network setup in a remodel.
I’m not sure I’ll ever be in the position again where I need to use it routinely, but I still look at it as money in the bank if the need does ever come up.

·
Banned
2,622 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Inner10 said:

True that.
This what i do have.
Two harbor freight toners cheap and afective. In side the gen is a switch to chane the tone out put from ac to dc. Have one set to ac and the other set to dc. That way u can trace two at one time. If u touch the wire and hold the wand it becomes louder and if u short the cable the tone stops to tell u, u found me.
And it hase a rj11/12 plug for phone. I made an adapter with a rj45 plug and a female phone ext cable. To plug in to the net jacks and trace.

To test pin out i use a free pin out tester. It has for bnc use an adapter to f for tv.

As for phone get a bajo with bilt in test for correct wireing, mines from ideal. But just because it lights don't mean u have a dial tone. And that's whare my $20 butt set cums in.

Well that's what i use/do.

Sent from my M80 using a lighter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts