Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Contractor
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm putting together a bid for laundry room floors to R&R VCT flooring including moving the machines (4 total) from one side, install floor, then move to other side of room, then floor. total size is 144sqft-18'x8'. I already have my rate by figuring out the time...I can do this for what comes out to be $2.25/sqft. What's typical for R&R or new install-it would be nice to have a little information when submitting the bid.

forgot to mention tile/adhesive is supplied and the rooms are probably NOT square...

·
Registered
618 Posts
make sure they supply some leveling or self leveling materials as well. Out in California that would be $3 a Sq. Ft. new installation, R&R is $5 a sq. ft accounting for demo, disposal and surface prep.

Now your price of $2.25, does it include R&R?

·
Contractor
4,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I'll be removing and replacing the original stuff. some of it's already curling b/c of water leakage over the years. I've done new installations before, but never R&R-can you give me an idea how the concrete surface typically is after scraping off the old tiles? I've scraped tile before-sometimes it comes up in sheets and other times it's a BEAR. I was going to add an addendum to the labor or removal. I estimated a half day 2 guys for R&R of an easy tear out-my installation rate is pretty fast with a good substrate.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Well with a concrete as the subfloor/base....it depends on the brush/skim groves depth and width. If there is a lot of residual glue still in the concrete after you remove the old damaged vct. Then you can either diamond sand/grind/polish the area, sandblast/power blast or pour a slc (self leveling compound)..then lay the new vct on that.

given that vct material only run around $1 per sq. ft. I would suggest adding labor item(s) as follows with a separate rate for each.

remove & disposal
surface prep
tile installation
tile finishing (sealers mutiplte coats or finishes)

last I see you charge $2.25..... x 144 = $330 approx? I would charge $500 labor minimal...that is 2 days work at $250 each day....you would have to come back on a 2nd day for the refinishing mutiple coats...atleast thats how I do it. I could be off or wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With VCT you never know what kind of problems you're going to run into, it can be all sorts of things so its always good to price more because sometimes it takes forever to get VCT up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
wow

not sure about those rates on that small of a job but in my world i have done up to 10000 ft in 1 day demo and install with only 3 guys and myself 11 hr day, .55 ft labor only, that reminds me y i do large commercial now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts