Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Contractor
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm putting together a bid for laundry room floors to R&R VCT flooring including moving the machines (4 total) from one side, install floor, then move to other side of room, then floor. total size is 144sqft-18'x8'. I already have my rate by figuring out the time...I can do this for what comes out to be $2.25/sqft. What's typical for R&R or new install-it would be nice to have a little information when submitting the bid.

forgot to mention tile/adhesive is supplied and the rooms are probably NOT square...

· Registered
628 Posts
make sure they supply some leveling or self leveling materials as well. Out in California that would be $3 a Sq. Ft. new installation, R&R is $5 a sq. ft accounting for demo, disposal and surface prep.

Now your price of $2.25, does it include R&R?

· Contractor
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I'll be removing and replacing the original stuff. some of it's already curling b/c of water leakage over the years. I've done new installations before, but never R&R-can you give me an idea how the concrete surface typically is after scraping off the old tiles? I've scraped tile before-sometimes it comes up in sheets and other times it's a BEAR. I was going to add an addendum to the labor or removal. I estimated a half day 2 guys for R&R of an easy tear out-my installation rate is pretty fast with a good substrate.

· Registered
628 Posts
Well with a concrete as the subfloor/base....it depends on the brush/skim groves depth and width. If there is a lot of residual glue still in the concrete after you remove the old damaged vct. Then you can either diamond sand/grind/polish the area, sandblast/power blast or pour a slc (self leveling compound)..then lay the new vct on that.

given that vct material only run around $1 per sq. ft. I would suggest adding labor item(s) as follows with a separate rate for each.

remove & disposal
surface prep
tile installation
tile finishing (sealers mutiplte coats or finishes)

last I see you charge $2.25..... x 144 = $330 approx? I would charge $500 labor minimal...that is 2 days work at $250 each day....you would have to come back on a 2nd day for the refinishing mutiple coats...atleast thats how I do it. I could be off or wrong.

· Registered
24 Posts
wow

not sure about those rates on that small of a job but in my world i have done up to 10000 ft in 1 day demo and install with only 3 guys and myself 11 hr day, .55 ft labor only, that reminds me y i do large commercial now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.