Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to bid on a job that could lead to more VCT work with a small company, the job i would be doing consists of about 625 sq ft of VCT. Also i would have to install luan which basically would be about 20- 8x4 sheets...would also have to patch the seems after laun is installed..the contractor would be supplying all the materials from what i believe...I have a decent idea what I should bid on the VCT installation but I'm kinda confused the installation and prep work of the luan..I would really appreciate any input..Thanks !

·
Flooring Installer
796 Posts
This forum frowns on pricing questions. I'm sure a mod will be along shortly to explain.

·
Groutface
824 Posts
SJ Flooring said:
Im about to bid on a job that could lead to more VCT work with a small company, the job i would be doing consists of about 625 sq ft of VCT. Also i would have to install luan which basically would be about 20- 8x4 sheets...would also have to patch the seems after laun is installed..the contractor would be supplying all the materials from what i believe...I have a decent idea what I should bid on the VCT installation but I'm kinda confused the installation and prep work of the luan..I would really appreciate any input..Thanks !
First if I'm answering right install the luan with a narrow crown staple frequent on the seams about every three inches and every 8 inches in the field. Prepping the luan is mainly to make up for any "factory edge" bevel or other inconsistancy. In my experience a six inch drywall knife just to bridge the meeting of the two, is sufficient. Our shop also has a cotract of this nature, we do this several times a month..hope I read yer question properly....

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Luan is not an approved substrate for any resilient product.

·
Groutface
824 Posts
PrecisionFloors said:
Luan is not an approved substrate for any resilient product.
That may be but its what our shop provides as an alternative to mahogany. We have been going through skids of it for years. I hear ya though its psi rating is nothing like the old stuff

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
It's not just the psi rating, it de-laminates with moisture, has no quality control whatsoever during manufacturing, stains through vinyl, etc, etc....it's crap. Who is supposed to warranty your work, you or your shop?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Precision is correct luan is junk... but if that's what the GC wants, just be sure to staple every 2 inches on seams and 4 inches in the field. Patch seams with portland base filler ( Ardex ) and most importantly don't warranty over luan...the vct manufacture doesn't and neither should you!

·
Groutface
824 Posts
PrecisionFloors said:
It's not just the psi rating, it de-laminates with moisture, has no quality control whatsoever during manufacturing, stains through vinyl, etc, etc....it's crap. Who is supposed to warranty your work, you or your shop?
My shop warrantys all materials related issues...believe me I get it... its what they supply....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vct installing Questions

I didnt mean to offend anybody by asking a question on price about the laun..Thought this was a forum for installers to chat but i totally understand why you wouldnt want to give away your prices..would of never asked it but i read a few older posts and saw a few people had numbers in there posts so i figures it would be acceptable..;)..So you've ALL said luan is crap so what do you reccomend using instead of it?..thanks

·
Groutface
824 Posts
SJ Flooring said:
I didnt mean to offend anybody by asking a question on price about the laun..Thought this was a forum for installers to chat but i totally understand why you wouldnt want to give away your prices..would of never asked it but i read a few older posts and saw a few people had numbers in there posts so i figures it would be acceptable..;)..So you've ALL said luan is crap so what do you reccomend using instead of it?..thanks
1/4 inch mahogany is the preffered subfloor.......no worries.......

·
Groutface
824 Posts
DAN from MI said:
Precision is correct luan is junk... but if that's what the GC wants, just be sure to staple every 2 inches on seams and 4 inches in the field. Patch seams with portland base filler ( Ardex ) and most importantly don't warranty over luan...the vct manufacture doesn't and neither should you!
A little overkill on the stapling but to each his own.....never coming up that way

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
1/4 inch mahogany is the preffered subfloor.......no worries.......
Not a floor guy, but I have been a superintendent on tens of acres of commercial VCT installs. When we are going to a wood substrate, the only wood underlayment any of our flooring contractors will accept is 1/4" underlayment grade (zero voids) AC plywood.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Wow just checked out those sites ....funny what u learn after being in the trade for almost twenty years...ill bring it to my shops attention....don't know how they will take it......thanks precision ..thumbsup
No problem :thumbsup: Learning and sharing information to help make this industry better is why I belong to this and other forums.

·
Groutface
824 Posts
Anti-wingnut said:
Not a floor guy, but I have been a superintendent on tens of acres of commercial VCT installs. When we are going to a wood substrate, the only wood underlayment any of our flooring contractors will accept is 1/4" underlayment grade (zero voids) AC plywood.
When u say AC what does that mean? The 1/4 inch mahogany is zero void also. I would like to bring this info forward to "the higher power"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts