Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw they have these at hub now and man I am pretty disappointed in Vaughan this thing feels awkward and the claws are way too short i have used the dewalt and it felt better , anyways im in the market for an all steel hammer for form stripping so if you have a suggestion let me know
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
short claws are actually pretty great and are standard on California framers. makes nailing in between bays/tight spaces easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
asgoodasdead said:
short claws are actually pretty great and are standard on California framers. makes nailing in between bays/tight spaces easier.
these claws are like 1 inch long it was weird
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
This may be dumb, but why all steel for form stripping?

Why not a steel head with hickory handle?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
That's what I thought.

I have a 22 oz Estwing that I swung a couple dozen times and have no urge to swing anytime in the near future.

I just stick with the hickory handle. Have broken more heads off a steel hammer than handles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JR Shepstone said:
That's what I thought. I have a 22 oz Estwing that I swung a couple dozen times and have no urge to swing anytime in the near future. I just stick with the hickory handle. Have broken more heads off a steel hammer than handles.
yeah im the only one on my new crew with a wooden handle hammer everyone else uses dewalt or estwing but that because the only use them to pull steel stakes , nails and forms while i do more nailing . I really dont like estwing and the dewalt isnt bad but is expensive for what it is and is made in mexico so I think i will jeep my CA framer and if the handle breaks it breaks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
I don't think Vaughan has ever made a great all steel hammer. This new incarnation looks like a copy cat.

Buy a steel hammer you like and only take it out on strip day. When I do forms I only swing a wood handle. Pulling stakes I use 10" vise grips. For pulling nails I use a bar. Get better leverage anyway than a hammer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Needles said:
I don't think Vaughan has ever made a great all steel hammer. This new incarnation looks like a copy cat. Buy a steel hammer you like and only take it out on strip day. When I do forms I only swing a wood handle. Pulling stakes I use 10" vise grips. For pulling nails I use a bar. Get better leverage anyway than a hammer.
yeah they make damn good wooden handle hammers though I think i will cruise by the sears and get an estwing to put with my concrete tools for stripping instead of my 23 oz vaughan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
yeah they make damn good wooden handle hammers though I think i will cruise by the sears and get an estwing to put with my concrete tools for stripping instead of my 23 oz vaughan
just go to sears and grab a few replacement hickory handles. they're $5 each and I haven't snapped one yet. steel hammers kill your elbow and wrist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
asgoodasdead said:
just go to sears and grab a few replacement hickory handles. they're $5 each and I haven't snapped one yet. steel hammers kill your elbow and wrist.
even for pulling forms ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
asgoodasdead said:
I don't do formwork, but I use mine for demo and framing and they've stood up to stuff I've snapped other brand handles with.
cool i will check them out and see it they have one that fits my hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
yeah they make damn good wooden handle hammers though I think i will cruise by the sears and get an estwing to put with my concrete tools for stripping instead of my 23 oz vaughan
That is all I have carried since 1996 well doing rough work. Well I also have used rigging axe off and on for a few years.

Now I use a 12 oz. Vaughan soft face hammer.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top