Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening evryone I know a lot of framers have stiletto and estwing hammers but does anyone use a 19 oz California Framer ? I have used kne for the past 5 months to pound 8 & 6d duplex nails for concrete work but im going to be working with my buddy framing . This might be a dumb question but I just want to know what the pros use , Thanks

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
About 3/4 of framers I see use the stelitos, I still use the fiberglass hammer, a good chunk of people use the cheap wood handled hammers at Home Depot so when they break they just buy another one. I haven't seen anyone use the California framer for a really long time.

·
Design Build
8,600 Posts
In the early 90s I always carried 2 hammers....both from Sears

1. The 23 oz Craftsman California Framer (wooden handle - lifetime replacement)
2. 28 oz Craftsman Wooden-handled hammer.

I worked for Estwing guys. They always gave me a hard time about my wooden-handled hammer. About once every six weeks, I'd take it in for a replacement. The Unconditional Warranty was fully tested on time when I returned a perfectly good hammer, because the knurling on the strike face was smashed flat from pounding concrete "cut" nails.

The Sears gentleman tried to refuse the replacement but I pressed him to explain what UNCONDITIONAL meant. He finally caved.

I always thought that was a strange guarantee to put out there.

Nice to have new tools every so often though.

My wife bought me a Stiletto back several years ago.....made in USA 15 oz Ti-bone. I love that hammer. Kinda 'spensive, but really a sweet tool.

Have fun making your selection. I used to head to the hammer section in Sears, HD and Lowes just to put my hands on their hammers. After getting a Stiletto, I don't have that pull anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the early 90s I always carried 2 hammers....both from Sears

1. The 23 oz Craftsman California Framer (wooden handle - lifetime replacement)
2. 28 oz Craftsman Wooden-handled hammer.

I worked for Estwing guys. They always gave me a hard time about my wooden-handled hammer. About once every six weeks, I'd take it in for a replacement. The Unconditional Warranty was fully tested on time when I returned a perfectly good hammer, because the knurling on the strike face was smashed flat from pounding concrete "cut" nails.

The Sears gentleman tried to refuse the replacement but I pressed him to explain what UNCONDITIONAL meant. He finally caved.

I always thought that was a strange guarantee to put out there.

Nice to have new tools every so often though.

My wife bought me a Stiletto back several years ago.....made in USA 15 oz Ti-bone. I love that hammer. Kinda 'spensive, but really a sweet tool.

Have fun making your selection. I used to head to the hammer section in Sears, HD and Lowes just to put my hands on their hammers. After getting a Stiletto, I don't have that pull anymore.

The tibone seems cool i wish someone i knew had one so i could try it , until then i think i will swing my "poor man's stiletto " aka 19 oz cali framer haha i got a piece of lumber and 16s after work and drove nails and it works very well

Attachments

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I've got one. I use it strictly for the off chance I get to do a bit of hand drive framing. I carry a Kobalt 20oz smooth face day to day.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
I see a lot of pro framers in South Western Orgon and Northern Calif...

All have used mostly Stiletto Ti-bones and other Stilettos...:thumbsup:

One hell of a hammer...:thumbup:

Would like to have had one in my production days...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see a lot of pro framers in South Western Orgon and Northern Calif...

All have used mostly Stiletto Ti-bones and other Stilettos...:thumbsup:

One hell of a hammer...:thumbup:

Would like to have had one in my production days...
Are stilettos still made in the USA ?

·
Design Build
8,600 Posts

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts