Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This wood was reclaimed from the Old Crow Distillery in Kentucky. Installed in Westerville, Ohio (just northeast of columbus) Was milled from old beams, columns, barrel shelves etc. Lots of different colors, swirls, knots, imperfections and even some old wood plugs here and there.

Plank sizes are 5-1/8", 6-1/2" and 8-14"; the pattern I used was 5"-6"-5"-8"-5"-6"-8" (that sequence will be stuck in my head the rest of my life!!). Average length of plank is 6 or 7 feet. Stained various colors and finished with oil.

Total SF of the project was about 850 square feet. Customer paid about $9/ft. for the wood. (I'll stay quiet on my install price, but I will admit that I came down a little to get the job - was dying to have this under my belt) :)

This is probably my favorite install yet. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Old Crow is gone???:cry:

That's freaking beautiful:thumbsup:

Did you have a lot of scrap with the random width?

That vent looks grain matched:eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can assure you, any grain-match in the vent cover was purely coincidental!! :)

And actually... I ended up running a little short of the 6 and 8 inch boards. I calculated the percentages of each width and made my pattern accordingly but still ended up with a bunch of 5" left over, and almost no 6" or 8"!! Still trying to figure out how that happened. The last few runs of boards in the entry ended up with some extra rows of 5" to compensate. Not visibly noticeable but drove me absolutely CRAZY!! I was so sure I had it planned perfectly. Other than that, a great installation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.