Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been working on this job for a while now (to long) and it is finally coming to the point of install. I was suppose to start the install tomorrow but put a call into the HO to find out where the painters were at and it seems that they aren't ready. So I will be installing on Wednesday.

Most of the stuff was delivered to the house on Friday. But the built ins were still being finished. So today I looked at a kitchen and took some measurements and got the downpayment. I got one of the built in cabinets ready for delivery. Had to put the backs on, the drawers in and the drawer fronts on. Here is the result:

Paint color is Ben Moore White Dove, done in MLC Resistant and top coated with Krystal. The drawer slides are Accuride full extension w/a 150 lb rating. The Pendeflex folder rails were made by me using 1/2" "L" aluminum that I cut to size and rounded the edges and drilled mounting holes.

The Molding will get a cap that isn't shown in the picture, it was wrapped up and I didn't want to unwrap it before delivery.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you use the crown as a straight or an inside corner I really don't care for it. But on an outside corner it is sweet. Lots of detail. It is a smaller crown, the blank I sent through the W&H is 2 7/8"

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soft Maple.

You surprise me. I expected an off comment....And you know why.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the rendering of the desk

Everything is at the clients home right now, all I have pictures of are the three file drawers, taken with my crappy phone camera. It makes them look flat and with no sheen. It has a beautiful finish on them that has a nice satin sheen.

·
Contractor
4,737 Posts
Leo-is the second picture of the same cabinet (background looks different)? If so, please describe the crown moulding-looks small but with lots of detail-is it off the shelf stuff? I like the cove detail with the crown...

another question about the second picture-the sheen is interesting-is it a very durable finish? what is Krystal? what is MLC resistant? I'm familiar with SW products and used their acrylic enamel but had trouble with drying-like 3 days to dry! Are you spraying your finish with a HVLP gun?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When the client writing the check says overlay......

I like inset better. I like the look and it takes more craftsmanship to get it right. But when the check writer wants overlay, that is what they get. Both of these pcs are in the same room.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Leo-is the second picture of the same cabinet (background looks different)? If so, please describe the crown moulding-looks small but with lots of detail-is it off the shelf stuff? I like the cove detail with the crown...

another question about the second picture-the sheen is interesting-is it a very durable finish? what is Krystal? what is MLC resistant? I'm familiar with SW products and used their acrylic enamel but had trouble with drying-like 3 days to dry! Are you spraying your finish with a HVLP gun?
The second picture is the same cabinet. I spun it around to get the lighting. I also bumped the f/stop up to f/10 so I could get sharper detail on the crown. This lets in a lot less light so the background becomes black becuase it is much farther away and the reflected light from the flash isn't as strong.

No real description for the molding. It is a cutter I had made custom for a kitchen job about 8 years ago. It is of 18th century styling. It is smaller, like you noticed, about 2 5/8" with a 45º spring angle.

The sheen is satin, 35º on the glossometer. Resistant and Krystal are ML Campbell products. Both are post catalyzed conversion varnishes. Krystal is a clear coat and Resistant is a pigmented coat. Both are solvent based.

I do most of my spraying with a Kremlin 10:14 which is an air assisted airless pump (AAA), I do use HVLP guns often. The desk job I had 3 going. Conditioner stain, Stain and a toning stain. I used MagnaMax pre cat lacquer on all the stained surfaces shooting with the Kremlin. The wood desktop has Krystal on it because it is much more durable.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Making headway on the installation of the job. 1st day we got the vanities and the two built in cabinets set. The vanities were a challenge to get in. Lots of thing running against me. 1st the floor was sloped 7/8", high on the left and low on the right. You can't really shim this type of a cabinet, only scribe. So I have a left scribe, a bottom scribe and 6 plumbing holes to keep aligned. Plus I have to keep the vanity in check so I can get the floor to ceiling linen cabinet in place and tight against the wall.

Took, way longer than I expected. I figured about 3 hours, well it took about 5, with me and a helper to get it to this point. A few things you don't see, on the left and right of the center cabinet on the vanity are to be framed mirrors and they needed to be fit to the wall and that was pretty quick, but time never the less.

The built ins went in as planned. About an hour for both of them.

The desk was another pain because of the floor. It too sloped about 7/8". What should have been a very easy start of a day turned into another long install. Because there is a carpet going into the room we were able to do a bit of shimming. Had to take a 1/4" off the right file cabinet and shim the rest. The left cabinet was shimmed about 1/2". Then the fun of putting in the 3 sided coped desktop. I had a pc of large corragated cardboard and used that as a square. We started on the right corner and it was pretty simple, almost square from the back to about 10" in and then zero to 1/8" as you got to the front. To scribe for the back we cheated. Ran a string and put marks every 6" and measured back and recoreded it. The transfered it to the desktop and cut. Then put it in place and took about 5 smaller scribes to finish up on the left side. Fit very nice on the left and right sides and pretty good on the back, one spot was about 1/2" but got hidden by the center cabinet.

The rest was pretty easy, just painstaking, had to be really accurate with the scribes. We planned on installing it from the left to the right because there was a large 2" scribe pc on the right cabinet and we figure we could angle it in. But because of the window trim it wouldn't fly. So we did the left side (upside down "L"), then the right side (number "7") and slide the center cabinet in place. Worked well and the scribes were perfect.

Attached the cabinets from the bottom, screwed into the wall and it was secure. Put in all the drawers.

Still have to do the moldings and all the pulls and handles. The client is estatic.

·
I like Green things
23,018 Posts
Making headway on the installation of the job. 1st day we got the vanities and the two built in cabinets set. The vanities were a challenge to get in. Lots of thing running against me. 1st the floor was sloped 7/8", high on the left and low on the right. You can't really shim this type of a cabinet, only scribe. So I have a left scribe, a bottom scribe and 6 plumbing holes to keep aligned. Plus I have to keep the vanity in check so I can get the floor to ceiling linen cabinet in place and tight against the wall.

Took, way longer than I expected. I figured about 3 hours, well it took about 5, with me and a helper to get it to this point. A few things you don't see, on the left and right of the center cabinet on the vanity are to be framed mirrors and they needed to be fit to the wall and that was pretty quick, but time never the less.

The built ins went in as planned. About an hour for both of them.

The desk was another pain because of the floor. It too sloped about 7/8". What should have been a very easy start of a day turned into another long install. Because there is a carpet going into the room we were able to do a bit of shimming. Had to take a 1/4" off the right file cabinet and shim the rest. The left cabinet was shimmed about 1/2". Then the fun of putting in the 3 sided coped desktop. I had a pc of large corragated cardboard and used that as a square. We started on the right corner and it was pretty simple, almost square from the back to about 10" in and then zero to 1/8" as you got to the front. To scribe for the back we cheated. Ran a string and put marks every 6" and measured back and recoreded it. The transfered it to the desktop and cut. Then put it in place and took about 5 smaller scribes to finish up on the left side. Fit very nice on the left and right sides and pretty good on the back, one spot was about 1/2" but got hidden by the center cabinet.

The rest was pretty easy, just painstaking, had to be really accurate with the scribes. We planned on installing it from the left to the right because there was a large 2" scribe pc on the right cabinet and we figure we could angle it in. But because of the window trim it wouldn't fly. So we did the left side (upside down "L"), then the right side (number "7") and slide the center cabinet in place. Worked well and the scribes were perfect.

Attached the cabinets from the bottom, screwed into the wall and it was secure. Put in all the drawers.

Still have to do the moldings and all the pulls and handles. The client is estatic.

^^^^^^^^^

I think I like your helper, seems like an all right kind of guy to me.:shifty:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made sure that festool vac showed in the picture. I knew you'd see it.

It's not mine.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
President of the cheap bastards club, yes I am.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My helper was going to move it... I said noooooo, leave it. I know someone who will get the biggest kick seeing it there.

Do I know you or what?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts