Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a project for a couple of large park-and-ride facilities and they want to add receptacles where the tree planters are. The tree planter consists of a round area cut out of the concrete with a metal grate around the base of the tree. They would like to add receptacles in the planters up next to the trees that are vandal resistant. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,085 Posts
Put 'em in an enclosure that's VR.

·
ampman
783 Posts
^^

What is that like a little 60 amp disconnect box?
it sure looks like a pull out - i have put in bubble covers with a place to lock it closed but with a hammer its soon comprimiszed

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
it sure looks like a pull out - i have put in bubble covers with a place to lock it closed but with a hammer its soon comprimiszed
Must be some kind of idiot going around smashing electrical apparatus with a hammer. :furious:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,085 Posts
Must be some kind of idiot going around smashing electrical apparatus with a hammer. :furious:
That's why you stick a huge label on it that says, "DANGER: HIGH VOLTAGE! RISK OF SHOCK OR ELECTROCUTION!"

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,085 Posts
Who the hell would vandalize an electrical outlet?

Put a big orange tag on the wire to the outlet that says "Why kill yourself the hard way? Cut here!"
Uh, keep in mind we're not talking about the sharpest crayons in the box, here. Some people are several fries short of a happy meal.

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Uh, keep in mind we're not talking about the sharpest crayons in the box, here. Some people are several fries short of a happy meal.
Well, yea, ok, sure, but still... vandalize a plug in?

Must be one boring ass night if that's the best you can find to do.:laughing:

·
Registered
618 Posts
That is a really good idea. could you elaborate on that a bit?
Pretty simple, empty out the planter box...run your pipe/stub up thru and attach a 4x4 outdoor box, get some plywood to make a form for the area you are going to fill with concrete. mix a bag of concrete and fill away. Note if the box planter box is made of concrete, you can take a hammer drill or rotary hammer...make a few holes, install rebar before you place the concrete.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've also installed the poorman's version. Stubup thru 3 cinder blocks inside a planter box, cinderblocks filled with concrete. Never had a customer complain it was vandalized again.

sometimes just the slight appearance of it being vandal resistant deters would be vandals. Vandals know if they hit 4x4 box mounted in concrete is not going to be giving way easily. they'd get tired or bored and move on to something else.

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
That's a great line! :laughing:

I know guys like that on the job, mostly sheet rockers and painters. :laughing:

·
Registered
47 Posts
its been a while, but a few years back we did a up-fit to a local jail. i doubt they used out of the box equipment. do they not make anything for I3 class buildings?

if they do i would think thats about as vandal resistant as they come???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts