Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for past vehicles I've made solid aluminum (plank) shelving but can't find the same materials and have a lot of shelves to construct (08 Sprinter 170" :clap:). I'm making shelf framing out of aluminum but considering glueing two layers of luan for added strength. Not a lot of weight-just tools, tool boxes and the sort. I'll use aluminum bracing every 2-3' under the shelf for structural stability. has anyone tried one/two layers of luan? birch/ply would be nice, but with 88LF of shelves, that could get real expensive. was hoping to stay away from 1/2" ply b/c of the weight (5 1/2 sheets!)

any other good ideas would be welcomed.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You are correct about the weight. I'm in the experimental stage now putting shelves in my new(er) van. I've pulled them out 3 times already because I keep trying to improve on them. I considered mounting a 3'x4' bolt bin for supplies but scratched it because of the weight factor.

If the guy thats going to do the lettering will get on the ball and get started, I can make the tool transfer from old raggley Dodge to new Dodge with payments and stop thinking about it.:laughing:

I like the dbl luan idea. It will be slick though. May want to think about some rubber mats to keep tools from sliding around while driving.
I ended up making mine from 3/8 ply on 2x4 a frame.
Rubber mats were not in my budget, I put 3/4 x 3/4 divider strips every 10-12".

I also considered coating the shelves with some type of slip resistant...stuff.
Cool seal might work?

·
Contractor
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also considered coating the shelves with some type of slip resistant...stuff.
Cool seal might work?
lsat set of shelves I glued down cheap automotive carpet (the kind you get on a roll from auto part store) on the shelf. It soaks up oil, is easily vacuumed and keeps stuff from sliding. I used the 3M adhesive in a can and lightly misted carpet-has not pulled up in 2yrs.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
for past vehicles I've made solid aluminum (plank) shelving but can't find the same materials and have a lot of shelves to construct (08 Sprinter 170" :clap:). I'm making shelf framing out of aluminum but considering glueing two layers of luan for added strength. Not a lot of weight-just tools, tool boxes and the sort. I'll use aluminum bracing every 2-3' under the shelf for structural stability. has anyone tried one/two layers of luan? birch/ply would be nice, but with 88LF of shelves, that could get real expensive. was hoping to stay away from 1/2" ply b/c of the weight (5 1/2 sheets!)

any other good ideas would be welcomed.
3/4" 7 ply birch plywood is $37 at Home Depot around here....Not sure what the 1/2" price is but I would look into it, it might not be too much....

·
Handle It!
9,588 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts