Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is time for some major revamping of our vans storage. What we have been using has worked ok...but we decided we could be more organized, use less space, and be more versatile.

Here was our setup..which did work ok...

image-3408267266.jpg

Here she is all stripped down...and cleaned...man it was dirty! I should mention this is an '01 E-350 Superduty Extended cargo van.

image-2654993556.jpg

We had some Advantech on the shelf so we put in a new floor. We just went over the rubber and used a self drilling screw.

image-812690744.jpg

We wanted a small shelf unit still, so we cut down one of the new we took out and put it right behind the drivers seat.

image-3458477988.jpg

We are using some Dewalt Tough System boxes currently and like them, so that is the system we invested in for organization and storage. To start we built a sub frame that we attach another 3/4" Advantech to.

image-993593081.jpg

More to come...

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
Slow week at work?

I have an E350 extended also. I am not really into using every nook and cranny, I just try to travel with what I need, and add/subtract to it each morning prior to leaving the shop.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warren said:
Slow week at work?

I have an E350 extended also. I am not really into using every nook and cranny, I just try to travel with what I need, and add/subtract to it each morning prior to leaving the shop.
No..been making closet shelving and closet cabinets at the shop for our current project. Working on this in between paint coats. Actually quite busy and wanted to do this for awhile so this week has worked out well.

We add or subtract as well, and will continue to do so. This is more of a cleansing and consolidation. We are ditching most of the cases that came with tools.

The other side of this is we still travel for one company, and this will allow us to carry more of their product and potentially avoid dragging a trailer on smaller installs.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
You're a better man than I. I've been procrastinating this for about 6 months.

PLEASE put a partition in there. It's way too dangerous to have all those tools behind you. I had a strap snap at a stop light and a shovel slammed right into the partition behind my head last month. That would have been skull without it.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So with the Tough System, you can buy brackets to mount them. We had these heavy duty shelf brackets that seem to work perfect and were way cheaper than the plastic ones. Welded a little tab on so they can't come off due to the spring loaded side handles.

ForumRunner_20140130_215746.jpg

Its getting there...

ForumRunner_20140130_215818.jpg

A little labeling...we have cut out a lot of wasted space.

ForumRunner_20140130_215929.jpg

Still have to get levels, cords, tool belts, etc. installed, but its getting there.

·
Registered
943 Posts
overanalyze said:
Yeah. Thats where our wrecking bar, cutting guide, pipe wrenches, straight edges, etc. will go.
All right there in line with the drivers head. Ethan's was right you HAVE to put in a partition.

My grandmother has an E250 for her embroidery business. A bunch of hoops (big metal rings) attached on the walls...strap came loose and sent one into the windshield. Didn't go thru it but shattered it.

She promptly installed a partition.

Keeps your tools safer too. You can get pucks for back/side doors but passenger/driver doors remain easy to break into

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boy...I have to admit I never thought a partition. I will look into it. I dont want one in between the seats though...we use that for long material every once in a while...

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
overanalyze said:
Boy...I have to admit I never thought a partition. I will look into it. I dont want one in between the seats though...we use that for long material every once in a while...
Use a scrap commercial carpet rolled up . It keeps the heat in as well as a/c . Plus blocks view in .

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May look at having a couple made for just behind the seats. I am not worried about security. Thankfully we don't live in a high theft area. It might give me a nice area to hang the bags....

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
There's a door in the center of the partition so you can open it to run longer material down the center when necessary. I have an insulated one with plexi panels but you can get an all-metal model for a lot less.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so the Craigslist guy didn't pan out..not real surprised. I don't want a full divider and I don't want a door. I have seen some I can order that are just behind the two seats with nothing in between. Not real expensive, couple hundred bucks.

What about plywood ones? Crazy idea? This would allow mounting some smaller items to the passenger side easier. I would think 1/2" plywood, not OSB, would stop most items in a wreck...

·
Registered
996 Posts
I built a plywood one for my truck put black carpet on the cab side and have a nice set of speakers mounted in it. Also cut a hole on the bottom between the two seats about 8" high which allows for long material to slide through. Will take a pic tomorrow when I clean all the junk out of it

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So we have been using it for a little bit and added a few more things. I will post some news pics tomorrow. One thing I noticed is how much quieter it is now that our metal shelves are gone and everything hangs from brackets.

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Going to put hooks on this 2x for hoses and cords.

ForumRunner_20140216_172054.jpg

We have our levels, straight edges, and some misc. tools on the shelf.

ForumRunner_20140216_172207.jpg

·
Always Learning
8,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My "criticism" with that photo, is that I like to have my quick access parts and hand tools, close to the rear door. That big box and ladder are eating up some of the primo real estate.
Yeah I can see that if you were service oriented.

The large Dewalt box on the drivers side in front of the wheel well is one of our main boxes. The other one sits at the rear on the drivers side behind the wheel well.

Our jobs are usually longer than a week...sometimes they are months long. Our other one is on site along with the other tools missing from the van.

I have enjoyed this new setup so far. We haven't been in a rush to complete it as ideas and changes come to mind as we continue to work out of it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts