Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
, and walked out, and found it gone!

still in shock , its been only 10 minutes , waiting for the cops.
I`m trying not to go berserk.
wifes not here
my carpenter is on the job, and I can`t get there .

I`m just writing this to relieve my pressure.

trying to breath slow
even though everything is in that van .
everything I own as far as tools , paperwork , etc.

it has me frozen right now

MAN!!

HOW TO HANDLE THIS THE NEXT FEW DAYS AND WEEKS, WITHOUT STRESSING OUT?

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Sorry man that stinks . Hopefully maybekids took it for joy ride and don't know what tools are . And cops can find in on side of road .

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Call your insurance guy... Find out what they'll cover to get you rolling again quickly.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Damn :sad: I'm not rich and I am probably thousands of miles away, but if you need something to borrow just ask. Good luck to you.

·
Punching above his weight
11,505 Posts
Call the cops and your insurance company, then make sure none of your credit cards or business checks were in it. If they were, call your banks.

I can't remember if it was on this messageboard or not, but somewhere I read a smart thing to do is to call local taxi dispatchers and offer a reward to the drivers and dispatchers if they find your van. Now you've got dozens of cars actively keeping an eye out.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANKS GUYS.
I need this.
I`m trying not to freak out

silly as this sounds , I`m thinking of my kids , daughter 27 , and son 24
I have to set an example as things go wrong in life , you can`t let it smash you.

son almost died of a disease , and was hospitalized on and off for 5 years .

he`s healthy, and working

daughters teaching yoga , and always broke , but loves her job
I`m still married to the same great girl for 27 years

I have to keep this perspective .

we are totally broke , we just spent $6000 putting a new motor in this van , and having to rent a car for 3 weeks while it was being done.

but:
what can I truly do?
I want to scream , I want to cuss at someone , I want to crawl back in bed ,
I just don`t see what it`ll do for me.

I`m on auto pilot right now

I did call the cops , they just made the report
I called the insurance company , and my wife's calling our home owners insurance
we have to see where we sit

I really don't want to tell my client this .
no need for them to have to deal with my drama , and we are in the midst of 2 bathroom renovations .
so I have to try and not lose speed and composure on them

maybe I will try calling a cab company like one of you , " easy Gibson " said

" We fix houses" my grandma always said that same phrase " this to shall pass"

thank you , thank you

I don`t want pity .
losing material crap is not the end of the world

just needed to vent

l

·
Registered
8,160 Posts
Sorry to hear this. If this is going to cause delays in the project I think you should let the customer know what happened. Is it possible to replace the tools you need to complete this job, or possibly rent or borrow what you need to get you through this project to get a little cash to start building up again?

·
Super Moderator
28,256 Posts
That sucks, dude.

I will be hoping they find your van.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,855 Posts
Bummer, hope they find it and things get back to normal for you. Person should have one of them controls on like when buy a rig. miss a payment and they can shut the rig down so will not run.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had my trailer broken into two years ago. It's the worst feeling. Such a defeating moment realizing all the things you worked so hard to earn and some low life decides to take it. I can't remember feeling so help less. But you get through it, hopefully you're covered by insurance. Start looking on craigslist/kijiji for your stuff. You just might find these guys if you have some unmistakable markings on your tools. I'm working on engraving my tools and writing down the serial number just incase it happens again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know I'm supposed to introduce my self and all that before I start posting but I had to express my condolences for your situation.
I had a whole kitchens worth of cabinets walk away from a house I am building for my family a couple months ago. It sucks. No insurance, cops are useless. "This too shall pass" is all I could say to my wife. These things always happen at the worst time as well. For me, work was slow and I was looking forward to spending the free time making progress on the house. Suddenly I had no cabinets and no money to replace them, and no work to replace the money. Depressing...
Thankfully, my brother needed a barn so I left my family for a month and was able get some cash flow and start saving for new cabinets. Things are looking better and I have work here at home again.
I am sincerely sorry for your loss, but like you said, material things are not what really matters. They come and go. Just don't let it crush you and things will get better eventually.
-Dave

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hate to hear of your troubles, hopefully it may show up in 24 - 48 hours. I think I would start planning on how to continue should it not show up.
I think I would inform the customers immediately affected.
All being well you will be back on your feet in a week or two.

Hang in there. I like what you said about keeping life in perspective and setting an example to the kids, or to everyone for that matter.

·
Every now and then poster
13,436 Posts
I'd start placing bolo calls to ALL the pawn shops within 100 miles. Hopefully your tools are marked. I'd also start monitoring cl. This type of thing is usually someone you know or someone close by. Think hard because without some tips the police have very little to go on. You have a better chance at getting your stuff back than they do.

Your van will get paid for by insurance. I just added tool theft to both my auto and business insurance policies. Check yours. If its covered this may be a blessing in disguise so long as you don't have a heart attack first.

New van, new tools, sounds groovey...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Some good advice, best thing to do is keep yourself busy and be as proactive as you can be. Get a phone book, internet yellow pages...whatever, and start calling cab companies and pawn shops. You will know you are doing everything you possibly can while also staying busy so you don't go crazy. Something I have been telling myself I need to do is start engraving my name on my stuff and writing down serial numbers. I've got a bunch of old stamps that I could easily make a stamp to melt my initials into the plastic on most tools....maybe I need to get on that.
Good luck, please keep us updated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah its a kick in the gut to go out the door to go to work , and find your van gone
I just rebuilt the motor , and had to rent a vehicle for 3 weeks while it was getting done , that set us back $4500

its your basic white ford van , but its mine!
my carpenter is great , he said he`ll pick me up everyday , and we can share his tools/
the bathroom we`re finishing is only 10 minutes from my house

I have plenty of work

so it truly could be worse

·
Punching above his weight
11,505 Posts
You've got a hell of an attitude man.

Still hoping this works out for you.

My old boss's van got stolen off a job once a couple years ago. It got found two days later dumped in the crappy part of town. Everything was rifled through, but all the tools were still there.
The 100% recovery is not yet out of the picture.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts